Level: 44 Assmunch
HP: 328 / 6573
328 / 6573
MP: 3138 / 3138
3138 / 3138
EXP: 3353 / 3391
3353 / 3391

PSN ID: thedragonheat83
I've never got the reason why people love the Pokemon game so much, after you've got one the game is follows the same routine, mission, fight other Pokemon, get money, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

bill goat wrote:
90% of single girls online have a boyfriend, 6% are single for a good reason, 3% are fbi Agents/tweenbait, 1% are what your looking for.

Post subject: Re: I don't like pokemon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
dragonheat wrote:
I've never got the reason why people love any game so much, after you've got one of the games it follows the same routine, mission, fight other enemies, get money, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Sums up almost any game/series in the history of forever.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm 
Level: 51 Squire
HP: 914 / 10164
914 / 10164
MP: 4853 / 4853
4853 / 4853
EXP: 5025 / 5110
5025 / 5110

XBL Gamertag: HoFKSugaFree
PSN ID: HoFKSugaFree
Steam ID: SugaFree
Wii-U ID: SugaFree3000
3DS code: 4167-4952-3231
Nintendo ID: SugaFree3000
dragonheat wrote:
I've never got the reason why people love the Pokemon game so much, after you've got one the game is follows the same routine, mission, fight other Pokemon, get money, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

>FPS, mission, fight other enemies, unlock weapons
>RPGs, mission, fight enemies, unlock armor/weapons
>Fighting games, arcade mode, fight enemies, unlock characters/costumes

Yup.

Smokey wrote:
Godspeed, brave adventurer, and keep your pimp hand strong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm 
Level: 53 Judge
HP: 1028 / 11426
1028 / 11426
MP: 5455 / 5455
5455 / 5455
EXP: 5422 / 5705
5422 / 5705

XBL Gamertag: DeltaEonInferno
PSN ID: DeltaEon
Steam ID: DeltaEon
The show went to shit after the 3rd season
The games went to shit with Black & White, didn't play BW2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:48 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
I'll be honest, I only ever really played Diamond, and there really wasn't much of a story there. Capturing was sure fun, but... it got tedious real quick.

Now, Suga is right in that every RPG, fighting game, beat em up, etc, all follow the exact same formula, but - and I'll be happy to be shot down here by someone who has experience in both areas - Pokemon games seem to have very little variation in story and execution, whereas Final Fantasy/Street Fighter/Super Mario have all followed the same generic formulas, but their stories and execution are so vastly different from previous editions, that you can't really say they're cookie cutter games.

I mean, the Street Fighter series has gone from 3 punches, 3 kicks, 2-3 specials each, thats it, to the massive and convoluted difficult-to-master game it is now. Focus attacks, supers, ultras, cancels, dash cancels, theres so many new things on top of the old, the series isn't recognisable anymore.

BUT... I get how addictive Pokemon can be.

I mean, Tetra Master in FF9. Jesus wept, I spent months trying to get all 100 cards (and succeeded).

Blue Magic in almost any FF game, again, I'd spent months trying to learn them all.

Super Mario World... fuck me if I didn't destroy my hands to get the little star next to my "92" on the save game screen to show I'd completed every world.

Super Mario 64? 120 stars? Yep.

TL;DR - I think Pokemon is more a game about collecting monsters and badges than anything at all else ever, although there is a flimsy story in there too if you want to search it out.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 am 
Level: 42 Mystic Knight
HP: 230 / 5755
230 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2815 / 2992
2815 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: N1ntendawg
PSN ID: Nintendawg-
Steam ID: Spicy Thai Tom
Wii system code: 6733-2568-8499-3558
3DS code: 3566 1726 0253
Nintendo ID: Nintendawgv2
Prof. Chaos wrote:
The games went to shit with Black & White, didn't play BW2

I disagree. Black and White were quite alright, imo.
A lot of people have said that BW2 were the best in the series, but I can't attest to that, having skipped out on em.

I like the Pokemon games, but they really could be doing 1000x better. I'm just gonna wait and see what X and Y hold. I really wish they'd make the badges take a back seat though, just imagine what they could do without that crutch. I'd love to see a game like Colosseum again, only expanded. If they were to have a whole storyline like that, with badges being optional (and they'll gain you access to other places and missions, along with rep bonuses and stuff), the series could be this crazy deep RPG experience. Having dialogue options based on what you've accomplished as a trainer (battle tower, other side things, badges included), having NPCs treat you differently as well... That'd be absolutely amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 am 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

Pokemon has actually grown a surprising amount since the days of Blue and Red...

In fact, I dare say each generation of Pokemon adds around as much as each generation of Street Fighter.

Story? Yeah, the basic point of the story is to be the champ. That's about it. Are there little side story things that occur? Yep. Are they different? Yep. I'm no master of Pokemon lore, but there's a surprising amount of stuff to learn and see if you go around talking to everyone.

In terms of additions, they added the Pokemon competitions, the team battles (2 vs 2 and all that jazz), and a lot of various things with the breeding/actual raising of your Pokemon. Whether or not it's all that noticeable is going to depend on the person. I personally don't feel the Street Fighter or Mario or Zelda games really change all that drastically. I mean, they've been around nearly twice as long as Pokemon, so of course the comparison of SF to SSFIVAE SHOULD be nearly double in comparison to Pokemon Blue and Red and Pokemon Black 2 and White 2.

The way I see it, is the game appeals to certain people. It's MUCH easier to get hooked as a kid, and why not? Those who were already hooked, generally at least have some sort of urge to get a Pokemon fix, but they may not even complete the full game. I know that happens with games like Street Fighter and all that too. I barely played SF as a kid, and to be honest, it's not something I really care about in its current form either. It's not nostalgia, it's just not knowing/being there, y'know? King of Fighters on the other hand... I love that shit to death.

That description above doesn't apply nearly as well to Mario or Zelda, since those games can really be enjoyed no matter which one you're playing. But honestly, the formula for a Zelda game doesn't change much AT ALL. Sure, there's a different overall story, but it usually plays out in a relatively similar fashion. I like Zelda and Mario well enough, but they're nothing I care about. Ask someone who started playing them when they were young though? HOLY SHIT! BEST THING EVAR!

TL;DR - Pokemon, like ALL games/series is much easier to get into when you're younger, although not impossible when you're older. It has something to do with your imagination or some shit. Seriously, just look at some of the stories people come up with to explain various things in the Pokemon series (game not TV)-- The open-endedness of it actually enhances the experience for a lot of people.

Also, go play whatever game makes ya happy. That's kinda the point of 'em.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:43 am 
Level: 52 Time Mage
HP: 970 / 10781
970 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5280 / 5401
5280 / 5401

PSN ID: Terrabro
Steam ID: The Voice of Justice
Nintendo ID: Terradude
Blokeymon wrote:
I mean, the Street Fighter series has gone from 3 punches, 3 kicks, 2-3 specials each, thats it, to the massive and convoluted difficult-to-master game it is now. Focus attacks, supers, ultras, cancels, dash cancels, theres so many new things on top of the old, the series isn't recognisable anymore.

And Pokemon has gone from "use Mewtwo, he has the best type and stats, you won't lose with him," to breeding hundreds of Pokemon trying to get a hidden stat known as IVs just right so that the stats you want to be good can go as high as possible, then battling certain types of Pokemon to get hidden stat points called EVs, cause for every 4 EVs in a stat, it's 1 point higher at level 100, but you can only have 255 EVs per stat and 510 total, but because only numbers divisible by 4 matter, you really just need 252 per stat, which lets you max out two stats and add 6 more EVs to a stat of your choice. Then there are hold items, which get more complex as the series continues and adds all new strategies, like a reason to actually use Chansey over Blissey even though Blissey is Chansey's better form. Not to mention their innate abilities that can create new strategies on a whole, such as deliberately using Pokemon that are weak to Fire attacks, so that when you know your opponent's about to use one, you can swap to a Pokemon with Flash Fire and get a huge attack boost.

None of that was around in the days of Red and Blue, and it gets more complex and adds more strategies with every generation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 am 
Level: 73 Assmunch
HP: 8032 / 32129
8032 / 32129
MP: 15340 / 15340
15340 / 15340
EXP: 14727 / 15112
14727 / 15112

XBL Gamertag: Atomic Deke
PSN ID: Dogfaced_God
Up to this gen, I've gotten a game from each gen, and I've played through the story of each one, getting as many of teh Pokeymanz as I could, but it doesn't take long after I become champion that I lose interest. It just doesn't hold enough allure or longevity for me.

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 am 
914 / 10164
4853 / 4853
5025 / 5110

Blokeymon wrote:
I'll be honest, I only ever really played Diamond, and there really wasn't much of a story there. Capturing was sure fun, but... it got tedious real quick.

Now, Suga is right in that every RPG, fighting game, beat em up, etc, all follow the exact same formula, but - and I'll be happy to be shot down here by someone who has experience in both areas - Pokemon games seem to have very little variation in story and execution, whereas Final Fantasy/Street Fighter/Super Mario have all followed the same generic formulas, but their stories and execution are so vastly different from previous editions, that you can't really say they're cookie cutter games.

BUT... I get how addictive Pokemon can be.

I mean, Tetra Master in FF9. Jesus wept, I spent months trying to get all 100 cards (and succeeded).

Blue Magic in almost any FF game, again, I'd spent months trying to learn them all.

Super Mario World... fuck me if I didn't destroy my hands to get the little star next to my "92" on the save game screen to show I'd completed every world.

Super Mario 64? 120 stars? Yep.

TL;DR - I think Pokemon is more a game about collecting monsters and badges than anything at all else ever, although there is a flimsy story in there too if you want to search it out.

Pokemon variation and execution is comparable to the way a fighting game has evolved over the years.

SF2 - Originally 8 characters
Pokemon Red/Blue - Originally 151 Pokemon

Now, SF has a fuck load of different characters and some hit and miss game mechanics that make it drastically different from the original. Same goes for Pokemon. The 1vs1 fighting mechanics of a game like SF2/SF3/SF4 is instantly recognizable with characters that transcend each of these games (such as the shotos) and the same applies to current era Pokemon games that have monsters from past games (a la Pikachu) while at the same time adding more monsters and abilities to the core game.

Is it always good? Well no. I am not fond of SF4, Focus Attacks and Ultras make the game slow as molasses and shortcuts and huge reversal windows makes it the Sesame Street of fighting games. The added stats and abilities make Pokemon a lot more complicated than it needs to be and breeding just takes up way to damn much of my time, but that is just an evolution of the game. But when it boils down to it, I can still rely on my decade old skills of quarter circle forward punch resulting in a fireball or having the knowledge that a fire type Pokemon beats a grass type.

imo.

Smokey wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:55 am 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
Terradude wrote:
Blokeymon wrote:

And Pokemon has gone from "use Mewtwo, he has the best type and stats, you won't lose with him," to breeding hundreds of Pokemon trying to get a hidden stat known as IVs just right so that the stats you want to be good can go as high as possible, then battling certain types of Pokemon to get hidden stat points called EVs, cause for every 4 EVs in a stat, it's 1 point higher at level 100, but you can only have 255 EVs per stat and 510 total, but because only numbers divisible by 4 matter, you really just need 252 per stat, which lets you max out two stats and add 6 more EVs to a stat of your choice. Then there are hold items, which get more complex as the series continues and adds all new strategies, like a reason to actually use Chansey over Blissey even though Blissey is Chansey's better form. Not to mention their innate abilities that can create new strategies on a whole, such as deliberately using Pokemon that are weak to Fire attacks, so that when you know your opponent's about to use one, you can swap to a Pokemon with Flash Fire and get a huge attack boost.

None of that was around in the days of Red and Blue, and it gets more complex and adds more strategies with every generation.

Lol this. Pokemon is a very deep RPG to those that know it. A lotta stats and strategies involved, although I don't touch it anymore because of fucking action replay cards and cheating cu.nts...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 am 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

SugaFree wrote:

Pokemon variation and execution is comparable to the way a fighting game has evolved over the years.

Now, SF has a fuck load of different characters and some hit and miss game mechanics that make it drastically different from the original. Same goes for Pokemon. The 1vs1 fighting mechanics of a game like SF2/SF3/SF4 is instantly recognizable with characters that transcend each of these games (such as the shotos) and the same applies to current era Pokemon games that have monsters from past games (a la Pikachu) while at the same time adding more monsters and abilities to the core game.

Is it always good? Well no. I am not fond of SF4, Focus Attacks and Ultras make the game slow as molasses and shortcuts and huge reversal windows makes it the Sesame Street of fighting games. The added stats and abilities make Pokemon a lot more complicated than it needs to be and breeding just takes up way to damn much of my time, but that is just an evolution of the game. But when it boils down to it, I can still rely on my decade old skills of quarter circle forward punch resulting in a fireball or having the knowledge that a fire type Pokemon beats a grass type.

imo.

I knew we kept you around for a reason~ <3

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:44 pm 
Level: 42 Mystic Knight
HP: 230 / 5755
230 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2815 / 2992
2815 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: N1ntendawg
PSN ID: Nintendawg-
Steam ID: Spicy Thai Tom
Wii system code: 6733-2568-8499-3558
3DS code: 3566 1726 0253
Nintendo ID: Nintendawgv2
Smokey wrote:
...it doesn't take long after I become champion that I lose interest. It just doesn't hold enough allure or longevity for me.

Black and White tried to solve that. TRIED.
I found myself doing a fair amount of post-game things, and the extra three towns (despite how they barely qualify for a marker on the map) are pretty neat.
Battling the rich family one at a time, and extorting their dad for cash with sea relics, was rather enjoyable. Exploring all the extra areas also took up quite a bit of my time. I also never did beat Cynthia.

That being said, the post game content was an all around let-down when some of the devs have gone on record saying things along the lines of 'It's an entire new game after you beat the champion'. :hmm:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 pm 
914 / 10164
4853 / 4853
5025 / 5110

HGW XX/7 wrote:
SugaFree wrote:

imo.

I knew we kept you around for a reason~ <3

Please, you wouldn't know what to do without me :D

Smokey wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
He'd masturbate a whole lot less, I know that much.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝