It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hey... Do you know why I always awake with tears in my eyes?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am 
Level: 1 Apprentice
HP: 0 / 18
0 / 18
MP: 8 / 8
8 / 8
EXP: 4 / 10
4 / 10

It's a scene I've borne witness to countless times.

A young boy, merely a child, cries out in despair as he clings to the lifeless body of what I can only assume is his father. The man's blood stains the green grass, and the sight makes me sick to my stomach. The man's life had clearly been ended violently by a blade, yet no weapon can be seen in the surrounding area. I approach the boy, completely overcome with sorrow at the sight. I am intimately familiar with these two, but I do not know them. Why must I watch this boy suffer such anguish?

"DADDY!!!" he sobs, desperately trying to get a reaction from the corpse.

I break into a sprint. Somebody has to help this child. What if the assailant returns? Somebody has to protect him!

Just as I am about to reach the child, a hooded figure wielding a scythe appears. I know what happens next, and no matter how many times I experience this, the outcome remains unchanged. I draw my sword and rush the menacing looking entity. The shade slashes at me with its shining blade, and my world goes red. I recoil in pain, and lunge once more in a rage.

Then my world goes black.

Post subject: Re: Hey... Do you know why I always awake with tears in my e
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am 
0 / 18
8 / 8
4 / 10

"....er ass up..."

A sharp pain shoots through my chest as I take a breath.

"Oi! I said get your ass up!"

I slowly sit up, clutching my right side with my left hand as I wince in pain. I wipe the tears from my face with my other hand and look toward the jarringly rude voice.

"Pub opens up in fifteen. Don't think you get to just sleep here without working off what you owe me."

I nod silently. The pain of my ribs was enhanced by his annoyingly English accent. I resisted the urge to sock him in the mouth.

"Just hurry up and get dressed, yeah? We could use your help tonight." His tone softened as he said this, making his way toward the door. Maybe he wasn't such a bad sort. "Freeloadin' bitch!" he shut the door, and I could hear him laughing quite proud of himself as he walked down the hall.

Why didn't I sock him in the mouth? Bastard.

I pull myself out of bed, and change out of my nightgown, and begin getting ready for my shift that evening. I pause and look at myself in the mirror as I do every day, hoping to remember. The large vertical scar just above my navel and the horizontal scar crossing the bridge of my nose and both of my eyes stand out in stark contrast to my naturally tan complexion. Even though I cannot remember how I got these scars, I know they have to be related to my terrible dream in some way.

I'm not stupid, after all. I'm just lost.

Post subject: Re: Hey... Do you know why I always awake with tears in my e
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm 
0 / 18
8 / 8
4 / 10

I shuffle down the stairs at the end of the hallway to start my shift helping out The Bloke Man for the evening. Most patrons think I'm some sort of serving wench even though the only drinks I serve are to myself. The Bloke Man tasks me to keep the fools that can't hold their booze in line, and usually has me go out into the town to work "overtime" after last call. I hop up onto a stool at the end of the bar away from the customers and reach over the counter to grab a glass.

I give a lazy nod at The Bloke Man to signal that I'm ready for the shift, and he slides over a bottle of whisky--it keeps me motivated to ensure nobody burns this place down. I pour myself a decent measure and take a hearty swig. The burn of this particular brand is an awful and great way to start your day.

To anyone new to The Bloke Man's pub, I must appear as some sad sack who's lost everything and is only looking to drown my sorrows in booze. While not completely false, the regulars knew better. Those who wished to get rowdy here would be sent packing with an empty wallet and some missing teeth if they were particularly uncooperative. I was thankful that I could stay seated for now and let this crowd enjoy their fun. Dealing with people was such a hassle.