It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Server Economics & you! Why Square Enix needs to fix it
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:38 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Do the DoL and DoH classes get locked out when you get to story level 50?

Can you not use them post-game?

Or is it that you just plain don't want to?

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:48 pm 
Level: 27 Clown-loving ass munch
HP: 17 / 1795
17 / 1795
MP: 857 / 857
857 / 857
EXP: 944 / 1000
944 / 1000

XBL Gamertag: Inertspark
PSN ID: inertSpark
Steam ID: inertSpark
Time taken doing X = time not spent doing Y.
Time taken doing Y = time not spent doing X
Currently Y needs a lot of X, but there is no Z as an alternative.

My interest is Y.

INB4UCANTBARSED

So when you are crafting and gathering, how are you playing through content? You end up stuck in a little bubble where you think you are progressing, but in reality you are going nowhere. It's why you still have 20 or so levels worth of story to play through after nearly 4 months. The average in MMOs even for slow players is about 2 months. At the end of it all, when you hit 50, there's fucking nothing you can craft which is better than what you'll have by that time. So what's the fucking point?

Ahhh but you've done more crafting, right? Well I've done more combat. You are crafting capable, and I am combat capable. Different playstyles which are accommodated poorly. Do you do more crafting but inhibit your combat skills through lack of practice, or do you do more combat and inhibit your crafting? Either way you or I choose, we are pretty much setting yourself up for disappointment when level 50 comes. No Raiding FC will accept you if you are unskilled (by which I mean not knowing how to play optimally with others) in raids, and no Raiding FC will want someone who can't craft. Ideally they want both, but you cant put the time into one without neglecting something else. We are a small FC. We don't have the membership and time resource to help each other out, whilst keeping the game fresh. So the alternative is join a different FC isn't it?

I knew from the outset that the game is pretty hardcore, but it's like nothing I've ever known in terms of the lack of reward. Everquest was really hardcore, but that game is sustainable, and offers at least some reward to the players. The same could be said of Vanguard Saga of heroes. Both of those games at least do not punish players for playing the game quite as much as this game does.

Like it or not, this game basically forces players to bite off more than they can chew.

I could create alts an play them, earn some Gil in the way that other games do. I could do this over and over, but they are alts and have their own time sinks and their own separate progression. Since this game allows you to do everything on one character, and punishes you financially for owning more alts, I don't want to do that. It's a fucking cash grab by SE. Reel in the FF fanbase promising everything they ever wanted. When the actual Final Fantasy in FFXIV stops (ie when the main story arc ends), its SE who are the ones who are laughing at the fans. Underneath all the Final Fantasy stuff, it's just a bullshit example of an MMORPG.

I don't care. MMORPGs are about freedom to play however you please to reach whichever goal you desire. I don't care that this game is so linear in the respect that SE basically force you to play (and earn Gil) in a certain way. Even if mobs dropped gil and trash to sell at vendors, and even if it's tedious to some, that's how I want to do things. If I can't, then the game is not worth my time.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­­­­­­­▬
I'M NOT FEELING VIOLENT. I'M FEELING CREATIVE WITH WEAPONS
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬­­­­▬

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

I constantly rotate between crafting/gathering and combat.

Hour or so gathering, few dungeons, hour or so crafting, guildhest, sell shit to vendors, oh look, I just made 8 grand just dicking about.

Again, selling shit to vendors. Making monehz. For when the housing thing lands. And all the other, 3-monthly content updates.

This means my experience lasts a lot longer, and is more beneficial overall, than someone who just blasts to level 50 without deviating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:07 am 
17 / 1795
857 / 857
944 / 1000

I don't think I really tried to blast to 50, it just happened man, because leveling is seriously easy the first time around. Also I don't think you even addressed any of the real economic problems of this game. You seem to flit between 'I'm not saying there isn't a problem' , 'Look how much I made', and then ridiculing other peoples' very real problems with this game. It's as if you don't really have an opinion on the matter, or at least are willfully ignorant to what's really going on. It's like you're sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA I LOVE FINAL FANTASY, THIS GUY IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS GAME SO FUCK HIM".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 pm 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
inertSpark wrote:
I don't think I really tried to blast to 50, it just happened man, because leveling is seriously easy the first time around. Also I don't think you even addressed any of the real economic problems of this game. You seem to flit between 'I'm not saying there isn't a problem' , 'Look how much I made', and then ridiculing other peoples' very real problems with this game. It's as if you don't really have an opinion on the matter, or at least are willfully ignorant to what's really going on. It's like you're sticking your fingers in your ears and going "LA LA LA I LOVE FINAL FANTASY, THIS GUY IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THIS GAME SO FUCK HIM".

You didn't blast it? Man you were on allllll the time. And when I called you on it, you said "I *have* to level, I get kind of OCD about it". I'd say you blasted it but that's cool because that's what you do. I'm the opposite, always are in an MMO.

I see your points man. Yes the economy could ruin the game if it wasn't addressed when it did become an issue. I've said previously that I do worry about that, but at the minute, with all the new characters being made (and have a look around, there's plenty of money to be made right now) then it's not really a concern to stop playing full stop.

But it seems your issue has evolved into that, if you want to continue to earn money, you have to learn a trade. And you dont want that, because in most MMOs that's how you make extra money, not just what you do to survive. But Really I just think that's the nature of the beast this time around. You have to make a more varied effort towards the game if you want to survive, and for now, just combat isn't going to cut it. Not till we get dailies (and I honestly don't think that's going to be that long away).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:49 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

inertSpark wrote:

I've acknowledged there is a problem.

I also.explained the already-present solution.

You just don't want to accept the solution.

Dan nailed it, I think, in that you might be used to crafting being an extra income on top of your primary one.

But like Jim used to.say before he had a meltdown, this isn't WOW, and until you stop treating it like it is, you won't experience anything else other than disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
17 / 1795
857 / 857
944 / 1000

That's my problem dude.

Some people love crafting, and make money from it. Some people don't. I don't.
    Some people PVP. Perhaps there's money to be made from it? Still, PvP ladders suck balls, so I don't like it.
    I prefer to just go out there and blast mobs. Doesn't pay.

So basically SE are like, "So other games reward players for actively playing whichever way they choose to play. Yeah yeah, well fuck THOSE guys. We don't want people to have too much freedom or flexibility in our game. Play it our way or GTFO".

So I got the fuck out because the game is prohibitive to my playstyle, and will die on it's arse. Or at the very least will end up full of closed minded fanboys who daren't admit that it's a poor MMO thinly veiled in a Final Fantasy skin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Now we're getting somewhere. This is a game that only 10% of which appeals to you.

You essentially bought Street Fighter just for the car smashing game.

You bought Sonic just for the bonus stages.

You bought a PS3 just to stream media.

You bought GTA4 for "HEY COUSIN, LETS GO BOWLING".

Is it really the game at fault then? Considering that those folk embracing the whole thing are rich as fuck, is it still the games fault?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:17 pm 
862 / 10781
5147 / 5147
5127 / 5401

I wanna be as neutral as possible but I'm gonna say just what I feel. If you don't like it, I apologise and there's no harm intended.

But I feel, Chris, that you're blaming the game for being wrong and poor, when it seems just like you have an incompatibility with it. The game, yes, requires you craft (or perhaps pvp) in order to get by. You don't seem to like it, I get it. It is another list of things you need to do to progress in the game and I see why you see it as a hinderence, but I personally really enjoy it.

Can I just ask a straightforward question? If tomorrow they patched the game to add daily quests, and said quests gave more money (perhaps on the scale of WoW's Lich King lvl 80 dailies), would you jump back on head first?

AX Edit: Sorry, just saw Carl's post which kinda covered most of my points. Ignore mine if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:54 pm 
17 / 1795
857 / 857
944 / 1000

All I'm seeing really though is flaming for the sake of flaming. The economy problem is a real issue, you're just not seeing it because you're still making money. You're like the last capitalists of the great depression.

And perhaps I see it more because the one way, and one way only to make money is something I find tedious and boring. And making money is key, because without it, you can't play the game. And this is the crux of the issue for me. But again, I'd rather play through content than sit on my arse crafting for 10 hours and not see anything but four walls, because that means I am not out there engaging with the story content etc. The game isn't about freedom of playsyles. The game isn't about flexibility. The game is purely about playing the game in the one single way that Square Enix envisaged. That is the antithesis of a true MMORPG, and it is the kind of linearity of concept that will ultimately be self limiting in terms of the game's popularity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:45 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

inertSpark wrote:
The economy problem is a real issue, you're just not seeing it because you're still making money.

And therein lay the problem - I'm making it, not looting it.

This weekend was a few hours mining, a few hours crafting, and the majority of the time questing to get to level 40, which I'm almost at.

Ain't gonna deny, I did make a few grand from questing, but I made 70,000 gil from shards alone, along with another 20,000 gil from levequests to level Blacksmith and Goldsmith to level 30, and I'm currently raising my Carpenter to the same, having just gone up 3 levels from leves in ten minutes. Man, those HQ items = triple reward quests sure are delicious.

I also made 18,000 gil from auto-crafting while I had my dinner. Emptied my inventory save for 2 materials, autocrafted, got like 90+ items that sell to regular old vendors for 69 gil a piece, sold the lot, autocrafted more, sold them, did it again. 3 runs total, 18,000+ gil

Hell, this is at level 30 too. Once I get to level 50, the items I can craft will sell to vendors for more, meaning I can make 20k a day minimum.

So to be fair, even if I was selling purely to vendors and telling the market to fuck off, I could still make 20k a day for what, an hours work?

Well, I say "work", it really isn't...

But I know, I know. You don't want to do this. It's old hat. This post is purely for those people who will actually partake in the other classes, and who will actively try to play more than just the main quest, and who want reassurance that the economy isn't borked.

No, people. It isn't. Provided you utilise the opportunities you have. Stick to one thing, and you'll be broke in no time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

inertSpark wrote:
It's why you still have 20 or so levels worth of story to play through after nearly 4 months.

How did I miss this bit?!?

Wife.
Two kids.
Full time job.
Working overtime.
Interest in doing other things.
Going out on day trips.
Watching weekly TV shows.

THOSE THINGS is why I still have 20* or so levels of story to play through.

* as of tonight, 11 levels left.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:42 am 
862 / 10781
5147 / 5147
5127 / 5401

WHAT THE FUUUCK I WAS WAITING FO YOU TO GET TO LEVEL 35 NOT FLY PAST ME, FUCK ME WHERE DID ALL THIS COME FROM?

Is this punishment because i didn't come on this weekend like a bad mate who promises shit and doesn't deliver (I'm sorrry okay?)

I'm a minnie-moo-foo-foo I know but cmon man, we were gonna do QAAAAAAAAAAARN!!!!!!!!!

You've probably already done Qarn innit.

FML.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Not touched Qarn. Unlocked it, not been in.

Also unlocked Cutters Cry, not done it.

Just been ploughing through the main story. Titan was a pain, but once I sussed it, he went down like your mum. :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 am 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

One year on...

Paladin - 50
Warrior - 40
Thaumaturge - 30
Summoner - 50
Scholar - 50
White Mage - 50

Carpenter - 50
Blacksmith - 50
Goldsmith - 50
Leatherworker - 50
Weaver - 50
Alchemist - 50
Culinarian - 50

Fisher - 50
Miner - 50
Botanist - 50

Only Archer, Pugilist and Lancer untouched.

Got a FC house to maximum rank, stables, vendor and mender hired in the basement, luxury furniture, 4.9 million gil in the bank, and no worries.

And the majority of this I did myself, seeing as no other fucker has been online in the best part of a year. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next