It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PSP - Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:54 am 
Level: 32 Assmunch
HP: 55 / 2753
55 / 2753
MP: 1314 / 1314
1314 / 1314
EXP: 1451 / 1495
1451 / 1495

XBL Gamertag: Nubnos
PSN ID: Nubnos
Steam ID: patch_cbl_staff
Title: Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?!
Genre: RTS/God
Developer: Aquire
Publisher: Nippon Ichi America
Ratings: ESRB - T
Formats: PSP Only

Synopsis:

Hmm...

Hmm...

Hmm...

Well, there's not really that much of one really. You play as an invisible god (lower case g, we're not talking about some worldwide invisible friend here...), who is worshipped by a traditionally demonic Big Bad. Although, this particular demon seems utterly incompetent at his job, and has summarily pissed off the local population of heroes. Who are now currently beating down his door. You job is to mine the surrounding areas, combine both natural nutrients and mana into various creatures to defend said demon. If you kill the hero, GG. If they manage to get to him, and drag his sorry ass out of the door, then you lose.

It's just that simple.

So, aside from the HUEG LIEK XBOX title, Holy Invasion of Privacy (You have no idea how many times I've typed Piracy by mistake), Badman! What Did I Do To Deserve This?! doesn't really have that much going for it. You dig tunnels to hide the demon, and create monsters from varying amounts of resources. So far, so much turtling RTS. Just without the nukes that make the endgame go so much faster. Or the rifleman zergs. The enemies get progressively harder, you run out of resources, and the demon eventually gets caught.

Now, part of the defense section is that some heroes drop torches. The next wave (assuming you get that far), the heroes will automatically follow those torches, hoping to get an easy capture. So you dig away from those, and hide the demon somewhere else. Except for you run out of places VERY quickly, if you don't plan anything. Even quicker than running out of places, is running out of resources. The ground is procedurally generated every time you start again, so no dry runs to get the feel of it.

As far as defenses go, creating monsters is frustratingly hard. I actually printed out the strategy guides online, and I STILL couldn't get anything about the fucking green slimes that populate the dungeon in their millions, with all the hero stopping power of thin air. When I did finally manage to make something powerful, the heroes just carved their way through it, barely losing any health in the process.

Graphically, there's nothing to speak of. Think a 2D version of Minecraft graphically, boxy sprites and strange coloured blobs. Sound... ugh, very little ambient music, and the speech is something that you expect if you mangle a tape that's loading in a Sinclair.

So what's the appeal? Well, I guess that the fast game times (I averaged about 12 minutes per game) makes it useful for bus journeys (Funnily enough the Park and Ride to my work is ~17 minutes, so that left me 5 minutes of feeling why the fuck did I just play that on the bus?!), or for amusing small children. But those 12 minutes each play were enough to make me want to order the driver to pull over, and for me to launch the UMD into the river Cam.

Scores!

Graphics: Very little to speak of. Antiquated sprites, and not much else. D
Gameplay: Fast paced, but not really through design, more through circumstance. Good for public transport, but not for couch play. C-
Sound: Got a Sinclair? Got a tape with a mangled ribbon? Insert tape into deck, and try loading that. Yeah, that's what this game sounds like. Not many games I'd recommend pressing Mute on, but this is very much one of them. F
Replay Factor: If you've got a regular journey where you're not steering, then this might tide you over for a week at best. D-
Overall: Kitsch, if done correctly can make an awesome game. If done incorrectly, well... you get Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!. D-

Is it worth it? (Caution: YMMV) - In a nutshell. No. I mentioned a couple of times about public transport playing a nice role in making this viable, but, to be honest, the PSP has a soft-save function, so these quick fire games are really losing their value in a world where I can flick the PSP onto standby, and pick it up again 8 hours later to resume my gaming. Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! is not a game that I could recommend to anyone, and it seems like no one else could either, to the point where sales outside of Japan are practically non-existent. Which brings us to the root of the games existence.

2 words.

WTF Japan?

Reviews:
Supreme Commander 2 <-- A sequel with a lot to live up to. Does it command everything, or take orders?
Fight Night Champion (PS3) <-- Nubnos comes back from the canvas, and goes in swinging.
James Bond 007 - Blood Stone (PS3) <-- Do try to return this in one piece, 007...

Upcoming Reviews: <-- Add to the list!
Dragon Age 2 (PS3) <- OMG YU SO ADDICTIVE?! *In Progress!*
Ratchet and Clank 4 (PS3)

Post subject: Re: PSP - Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:43 pm 
Level: 41 Machinist
HP: 268 / 5376
268 / 5376
MP: 2567 / 2567
2567 / 2567
EXP: 2797 / 2806
2797 / 2806

XBL Gamertag: J58P4
PSN ID: MadSketch
Steam ID: afororange
Expecting Raiku rage in 3, 2, 1....

This game never appealed to me, however.

Inspired by PhoenixGamma.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:15 am 
Level: 42 Squire
HP: 287 / 5755
287 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2892 / 2992
2892 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: RaikuFA
PSN ID: RaikuFA
Steam ID: RaikuFA
thegamecubist wrote:
Expecting Raiku rage in 3, 2, 1....

This game never appealed to me, however.

no raging, never was intrested in it

Nintendawg wrote:
You should be careful, one day you think you're talking to a friendly face, and then bang. Satan is looking you in the eyes... then Satan is a bear... then you are a bear... etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:37 am 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
thegamecubist: I'm the huge Nippon Ichi fag, Raiku's the huge Atlus fag.

Nubnos wrote:
and it seems like no one else could either, to the point where sales outside of Japan are practically non-existent.

First game didn't sell 'cause it was download only.

Successful enough for a sequel, which was localized, brought to America, and even has the first game included.

You are a faggot, and my opinions are more valuable than yours.

GOOD DAY, SIR.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm 
Level: 45 Judge
HP: 420 / 7015
420 / 7015
MP: 3349 / 3349
3349 / 3349
EXP: 3530 / 3604
3530 / 3604

I enjoyed it, and purchased 3 of them I think, though they erased the badman title I believe as it was too close to batman... it became No Heroes Allowed.

YES I could right (but probably meant write) better if you convented, hang on thats not even a real word, what the shitting fuck, screw this I'm off for a kebab and then bed.

http://www.appspy.com/author/268/alex-beech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:54 am 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
DoFuss wrote:
I enjoyed it, and purchased 3 of them I think, though they erased the badman title I believe as it was too close to batman... it became No Heroes Allowed.

2nd one was the PSP Titled "What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 2" And then they have No Heroes Allowed for download on PSN.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:58 pm 
Level: 42 Squire
HP: 287 / 5755
287 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2892 / 2992
2892 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: RaikuFA
PSN ID: RaikuFA
Steam ID: RaikuFA
HGW XX/7 wrote:

unless it involves disgaea or an atelier game

Nintendawg wrote:
You should be careful, one day you think you're talking to a friendly face, and then bang. Satan is looking you in the eyes... then Satan is a bear... then you are a bear... etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:35 pm 
Level: 41 Machinist
HP: 268 / 5376
268 / 5376
MP: 2567 / 2567
2567 / 2567
EXP: 2797 / 2806
2797 / 2806

XBL Gamertag: J58P4
PSN ID: MadSketch
Steam ID: afororange
Raiku wrote:
HGW XX/7 wrote:

unless it involves disgaea or an atelier game

That's what got me confused :?

Inspired by PhoenixGamma.