Steam ID: patch_cbl_staff
Title: Mafia II
Genre: 3rd Person Action/Sandbox
Developer: 2K Czech
Publisher: 2K Games
Rating: BBFC - 18, ESRB - M
Formats: PS3, Xbox360, PC.

Synopsis:
Vito Scaletta is the son of Sicilian immigrants, moved to the US in the periods between WWI and WWII in search of a new life, and the American dream. Unfortunately, they are practically worse off in the US than they were in Italy. With a drunken father, and an ailing mother, Vito quickly falls into the wrong crowd, meeting Joe Barbaro the energetic bachelor. With no experience in a life of crime, and no one to turn to, Vito is quickly busted breaking into a local store. Given the choice between jail, or conscription, the story quickly meets up with Vito and his squad dropping in to an Italian city, to liberate it from the local fascists.
During the ensuring gunfight, a local Mafioso orders an entire unit of Italian troops to surrender through the method of megaphone. Being the honourable man that he is, the troops quickly surrender, and Vito understands the power that the Mafia holds over the locals.

Back in the USA on leave after being shot in the firefight, Vito meets back up with Joe, who arranges for Vito's injury to suddenly appear much more serious on paper than it is, and Vito is honourably discharged from the Army. The pair then embark on a career in the Mafia, after being "made". After some time, Vito is then thrown in jail, where he meets Leo Galante, consigliere for Mafia don Frank Vinci. Leos associates then reduce Vitos sentence after he agrees to work for Leo while inside.
Once released, Vito meets back up with Joe, and the party then kicks back off again. But crime rarely pays, and Vitos past then comes back to haunt him.

Mafia II is one of those games that can be amazingly fast to burn through, or very time-consuming, depending on how much you get into it. Sandboxes generally have strictly defined storylines, but have the option to leave them for significant amounts of time. This works incredibly well in Mafia II, with only a few jobs that come through to push the story forwards, with the player being given map waypoints that they can follow, or leave to wander.
The one thing that lets Mafia II down in this sense, is that because Vito is locked up for several years, you effectively have 2 sandboxes, with the cars, clothing, and in some cases the stores all change significantly in that period.

Story-wise Mafia II falls very squarely into the whole "Sicilian gangster plot, with a family twist" section. Like an American sitcom, there's always a moral in there somewhere. In the case of Mafia II, it's the good old fashioned CRIME DOES NOT PAY part right there in the face. Vito gets busted twice during the story. The first sees him come within an inch of being executed during the war, and the second sees him being locked up for about 6 years, where he gets into fights, and everything that goes with a prison life.
It also tries to reinforce the wholesomeness of family, with Vito protecting his sister from an abusive spouse, and him spending the first section of the game getting the money to repay his deceased father's debt to a loan shark. There's also the whole WINNERS DON'T TOUCH DRUGS, with a deal with the Chinese families over heroin going down the shitter very quickly, with Vito, Joe and Henry being ambushed quite literally outside the door.
Other than that, it's told very much from the perspective of Vito, and his moral salvation, protecting his biological family, his Mafia family, and his professional relationship with Joe and Henry.

Gameplay is largely what you'd expect from a sandbox action game, in the similar vein of GTA. You can steal whatever non-story car you want, store it in a garage where they magically warp to any of your properties (which you earn from the story missions), tune them up, change the plates, etc... The omnipresence of the "one-time" is counteracted nicely by a number of wanted levels. Police will either want to fine you, arrest you, shoot you on sight, or shoot with automatic weapons. They also can take details of your appearance or what car you're driving, making the proverbial (and literal) body shops all the more important.
Combat though, is another kettle of fish. With no luxuries like body armour, or lower calibre weapons, you get period weaponry like the 1911 semi, everyone's favourite Thompson SMG (the definitive Mafia weapon, I'm sure you'll agree), right through to more exotic weapons like the MG42 (don't ask about that...), and a number of weapons clearly smuggled out of the WWII supplies. As you'd expect, damage stacks up very quickly, with you only being able to take about 3-4 shots before making a trip to the morgue. Luckily combat is cover-based, and massive gunfights generally turn into a scene more out of the Wild West, than "dignified" Empire Bay. Health regenerates after a few seconds, but never to 100%, amking longer fights a bit hairy at times.

Missions generally take a few attempts on the higher difficulties, and especially later on in the game, with mobs at about 15 guys against 1 not being uncommon, and in a couple of occasions you're completely unarmed, or unable to use any guns.
Stealth is also briefly touched upon, with a story mission having a very short sequence that takes a few attempts to figure out (with the usual face palming yourself for being so stupid when you see how simple the solution is), but other than that it's largely guns-blazing.

For the fluff, having a huge number of licensed songs from period artists makes driving to missions all the more better, with a fair few of them being stuck in my head (Damn you 1940s for having catchy songs). Vehicles handle about the same as you'd expect for a car weighing about 4 tons with no suspension. Clothing is largely superfluous, except for looking sharp, and losing the police when they get your description.

Outside of all of that, Mafia II's a quite enjoyable game, with challenge in the right places, and just enough freedom to stop it getting too constrictive. Combat flows nicely, and the weapons have a palpable thud when firing. Melee is a little clunky, but given that you only use it in a few places, isn't really a problem.

Scores!

Graphics: Fast HD graphics, amazingly well made period sections keeping the immersion going, despite the sandboxing at times. A
Gameplay: Stereotypical Mafia story, complimented by accurate period pieces, and loving crafted areas. Let down a bit by a bit of a chunky repetitive combat system, with fire from all angles killing you frustratingly often while you're in cover. B
Replay: Sandboxing allows for a lot of exploration, areas not touched by the story are all open. Collectibles keep the treasure hunt open in the form of licensed Playboy centrefolds, and artwork unlocks. Large numbers of cars to find and a database to fill give a number of measurable things to find. DLC already released adding a few more things to do. B+

Overall:
Finely crafted Mafia games can be a little hard to find, but Mafia II has just about the right mix of story and sandbox, gameplay and period immersion. Holds up well in comparison to others in the genre, but let down a little bit by sheer frustration factor in a few places. Otherwise a fine addition to collections, and DLC is already on its way to expand the game further. A

Reviews:
Supreme Commander 2 <-- A sequel with a lot to live up to. Does it command everything, or take orders?
Fight Night Champion (PS3) <-- Nubnos comes back from the canvas, and goes in swinging.
James Bond 007 - Blood Stone (PS3) <-- Do try to return this in one piece, 007...

Upcoming Reviews: <-- Add to the list!
Dragon Age 2 (PS3) <- OMG YU SO ADDICTIVE?! *In Progress!*
Ratchet and Clank 4 (PS3)

Post subject: Re: PS3 - Mafia II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 pm 
Level: 35 Squire
HP: 104 / 3484
104 / 3484
MP: 1663 / 1663
1663 / 1663
EXP: 1858 / 1866
1858 / 1866

XBL Gamertag: SmilerAlex
PSN ID: SmilerAl
Steam ID: SmilerAl
You have far too positive outlook on this game, I spent waiting 8 years in development to just even coming close to recapturing the beauty of the first game, it lasted 6 hours and that was it. 2K butchered this game until there was nothing left, let that be a lesson to any one in the future holding out hope on a sequel with 2K being involved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 pm 
Level: 32 Assmunch
HP: 55 / 2753
55 / 2753
MP: 1314 / 1314
1314 / 1314
EXP: 1451 / 1495
1451 / 1495

XBL Gamertag: Nubnos
PSN ID: Nubnos
Steam ID: patch_cbl_staff
I never actually played the first one, trying to keep the reviews to be the game holding itself up on its own merits. Hence when Medal of Honor arrives, I'm not going to touch the multiplayer side of things. If you pay £40 for a AAA release, then why should it have to stand up with 10 year olds calling you a fag?
If there's bots included, then I might look at it, but unless you get a game that specifically says it's multiplayer only, then it should stand up by itself, especially if it's server-hosted, considering they will take the servers down at some point.

Maybe it's just bad experiences on PC games online, on XboxLive, and on PSN... But hey, if someone asks for it, then I might ;)

So yeah, massive digression, but to me, even if it's from a series I love, or one that I've been waiting years for a sequel which eventually delivered, but below your expectations (Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, anyone?), but the game should stand on its own strengths, instead of leaning on the series.... Geddit?

Reviews:
Supreme Commander 2 <-- A sequel with a lot to live up to. Does it command everything, or take orders?
Fight Night Champion (PS3) <-- Nubnos comes back from the canvas, and goes in swinging.
James Bond 007 - Blood Stone (PS3) <-- Do try to return this in one piece, 007...

Upcoming Reviews: <-- Add to the list!
Dragon Age 2 (PS3) <- OMG YU SO ADDICTIVE?! *In Progress!*
Ratchet and Clank 4 (PS3)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Wow, smells a whole lot like "Personal opinions don't mean shit to me" in here.

Can I recommend that anyone who disagrees with a review, write their own instead of attacking other people's opinions? Instead of arguing, we get two reviews from different standpoints.

Everybodys happy, and no-one gets warnings. :yes:

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 pm 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
Nubnos wrote:
I never actually played the first one, trying to keep the reviews to be the game holding itself up on its own merits.

I love this!!! :+1:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
Level: 52 Time Mage
HP: 970 / 10781
970 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5280 / 5401
5280 / 5401

PSN ID: Terrabro
Steam ID: The Voice of Justice
Nintendo ID: Terradude
Blokeymon wrote:

Can I recommend that anyone who disagrees with a review, write their own instead of attacking other people's opinions? Instead of arguing, we get two reviews from different standpoints.

To be fair, Smiler wasn't actually being too rude here, imo. Just...had the wrong outlook, as demonstrated by the fact that I am about to quote something and add absolutely no additional text.

Ax wrote:
Nubnos wrote:
I never actually played the first one, trying to keep the reviews to be the game holding itself up on its own merits.

I love this!!! :+1:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm 
104 / 3484
1663 / 1663
1858 / 1866

Blokeymon wrote:

I do write my own, and publish them on other sites, just not here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm 
Level: 50 Squire
HP: 766 / 9575
766 / 9575
MP: 4571 / 4571
4571 / 4571
EXP: 4814 / 4830
4814 / 4830

XBL Gamertag: MatthewSFC
PSN ID: MatthewSFC
Steam ID: MatthewSFC
Thou shall definitely get this after Christmas (Possibly before). Nice review :)

HGW XX/7 wrote:
Pokemon cockslaps Final Fantasy with a fury that is unknown to the human race.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 pm 
104 / 3484
1663 / 1663
1858 / 1866

Enjoy my review, courtesy of an angry fanboy.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5470

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:15 pm 
Level: 50 Squire
HP: 766 / 9575
766 / 9575
MP: 4571 / 4571
4571 / 4571
EXP: 4814 / 4830
4814 / 4830

XBL Gamertag: MatthewSFC
PSN ID: MatthewSFC
Steam ID: MatthewSFC
I finished this today and it's definitely most likely my favourite game so far this year. I loved the story, the setting, the gameplay, the music. Christ. Well worth getting people's :D.

HGW XX/7 wrote:
Pokemon cockslaps Final Fantasy with a fury that is unknown to the human race.