MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
The day Nintendo revealed to the world the Wiimote, three words echoed and resonated around the planet.

"Star."

"Wars."

"Lightsaber."

Within minutes, people were drooling over how awesome it would be to have the one thing gamers have dreamt of since 1977 - a lightsaber-based videogame. However, that day is still a long long time and a galaxy far far away, but until then, those lovely people at Gamexpert (who?) have given us this.

The Nintendo Wii Light Sword.

Craftily dodging a potentially massive copyright infringement lawsuit, the "Light Sword" boast 24 blue LEDs that light up and down in sequence for that authentic lightsaber effect. But is it any good? Will it satisfy our appetite until that fateful day when the game we all want is released? Let's find out....

Looking at the pictures I envisioned this to be quite a big box, so you can imagine my dismay when I get this.

"Hang on a minute!" I cry. "Those bastards have fooled me with the cunning use of perception! This light sword must be no bigger than 12 inches! I have been fooled!". But upon unpacking it, I realise I'm actually quite a spaz, and that it comes in parts. D'oh!

So, what do we have? Well, we have the grip where the Wiimote sits, we have the blade itself, and a screw-on cap to prevent separation during lightsaber tennis matches. It feels very sturdy and not at all like the cheap plastic I thought it'd be made out of. It's a little bland, and could have done with a few little designs added to it, but given that everything about the Wii is white and smooth, I guess they were just following this aesthetic look.

They've also thoughtfully cut out a section underneath for access to the "B" button, but all too quickly I see that there is no way the sensor will point at the TV, what with there being a bloody great light up dildo in the way. Looks like I'll have to remove the Wiimote if I wanna point....

That's when I hit another snag. It's so well built and sturdy that it's quite hard to remove the Wiimote. After a bit of pulling, grunting and swearing, I realise I'm in danger of breaking the lot. That's when I hit upon the novel idea of using my thumbs to separate the sides and my fingers to pop out the Wiimote - which it does with ease. If I had smaller hands, this might be a pain....

But how does it look lit up? Well, I've been dying to press that little power button, so let's go for it!

Once my eyes have stopped burning, I turn it off. Jesus H Christ, I was expecting some pansy little glow, not the brighter-than-the-sun bombardment of light I just got hit with. For £15, you get one hell of a light show, but seeing as it takes 3 AA batteries (my real lightsabers only take 3 AAA batteries) I guess I should have expected it after all.

Now let's try it with the lights off....

The entire room is bathed in a blue glow and within seconds there's a shitton of insects outside my window trying to reach it. This - Is - Awesome.

The LEDs light up and down in a very smooth manner, and in the dark it really does resemble a real lightsaber. The lack of any sounds isn't too much of a problem, considering it only costs £15 and is basically nothing more than an accessory, but I can't help feeling it would have been awesome to just have the "hum" sound.

I'm £15 down, but up one of the coolest Wii accessories to date, if not THE best. It won't let you point at the screen, and it won't make you more powerful than Emperor Palpatine, but you will be the coolest Wii Sports tennis and baseball player out there.

However, when all is said and done, only one single question remains....

Are you that much of a Star Wars fag to buy this accessory that has no real function? If yes, then go buy it without haste. If no, then steer clear.

I can't give this a proper rating due to the above dilemma, but if you answered "yes", you won't be disappointed.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝