2797 / 2806

XBL Gamertag: J58P4
PSN ID: MadSketch
Steam ID: afororange
Yakuza 2
Players: 1
Age rating: M for Mature

Review:

I think I'm going to keep this one shorter, seeing as the immense fangasm that was my Persona 4 review got no comments but 14 cursory views.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Yakuza games (outside of Japan) are often heralded as games in the wrong place at the wrong time: when the original came out, the words "Unreal Engine 3" quivered on gamers lips, and the sequel was released so late in the PS2s life cycle even Sega (publisher and developer of the title) didn't give a damn about it.

They're often seen as victims of the great divide in gaming right now, where many gamers are "ignoring" Japanese made games and sticking to wholesome shooting: first person shooting, first person roleplaying shooting, cover based shooting, or in the case of Perfect Dark Zero, first person cover based shooting whilst roleplaying as a 20 year old scene girl. "It's GTA in Japan!", the preachers say.

How wrong they are.

Grand Theft Auto can be described with one word: freedom. The story is there, embedded, but it really is about having the world to play in.

Yakuza 2 is about people. It's a story; a well written one at that. Written by Hase Seishu, an actual crime novelist, the game is full of drama, suspense, of humanity. Kazuma Kiryu, the player character in Yakuza 2, has a great foil in Goda Ryuuji. They play off each other so well; their sense of mutual respect for each other palpable. It builds, it twists, and it would be nearly perfect if it didn't feel a need to give nearly every character a little section. In terms of pacing, it's slightly hobbled by this fact. It also gets slightly retarded at one point, because you face off against two tigers as a boss battle.

Yes. Tigers.

Yakuza 2 can be confined into the brawler gameplay category, although the game subtly nudges you to expand and build rhythm, build more awareness. In the previous game, the targeting system was confounded when you got in close quarters fighting. In the sequel, the game has more trust in the player: the direction you tilt the analog stick in is the direction Kazuma will attack in. You can switch directions mid combo; when you do this, the delay time between the two moves becomes much shorter, you gain "soul" (think Super meter in Street Fighter), and the combo counter starts again. Experimenting players will find that those who control the fight, make themselves aware of the environment, maintain the combo - it all leads to a great feeling. You're a monster, fighting non-stop, demolishing anyone from any direction. I love the street fights the best in this game, because they have the most enemies. The bosses have cute little Punch-Out! patterns. In the end, the gameplay is really up to your own volition - you can make it precise if that's the kind of gamer you are, or you can make it button mashy.

The game also has some light RPG elements to it; you gain experience from fights, and can use this to learn new moves. It's not too much different from other games, but it adds another layer to Yakuza 2.

The Yakuza games are well know for their exacting depictions of districts in Japan. Yakuza 2 maintains this tradition, with the player going to three different districts throughout the course of the game. Lovingly detailed, it's bright, packed to the brim with stores, people, and lights. It's just how you'd imagine a downtown district in Japan. Even more impressive, you can enter most of these buildings. The amount of activities you can do is mind boggling. Get drunk, at bars with unique drink menus. Eat food, at restaurants with unique food menus. Play games. Watch movies. Gamble. Go to a hostess club. Own a host club. It's crazy how much detail is in this game. The hoary PS2 can't keep up at times, though, and it studders in some of the larger vistas.

Yakuza 2 is fairly unique for a localized video game in that the Japanese voice overs are the only option. I don't know Japanese, so I can't say much on that, although the snarl and the coarseness in these voices to heighten the sense of crime romanticism in the game. The original game was dubbed very well in English but I suppose Mark Hamill isn't cheap. The music is decent enough; I wish there were more variety in the fighting themes, but it's catchy. Tappable, even. You can't really go wrong with ancient Japanese organizations and Taiko drums, after all.

Yakuza 2 really shouldn't be a curiosity for western gamers. It's just a good game. It's a different world, but what makes Japan different from the Wasteland? New Mombasa? Pandora? If it's foreign, it's foreign.

It's a video gamey game. Where as the original was resolute in its vision of being a yakuza film, Yakuza 2 is more loose. It's more willing to get a little crazy in order to establish its set pieces. The aforementioned tigers are just one of these instances. As such, it feels easier to get into, easier to play with where as the original was something you played in.

A personable gangster game. Seeing as Rockstar did the same thing with GTAIV, I'd say Sega is on the right track.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ratings

Graphics: B impressive in scope, restrained by hardware.
Sound: A fitting, catchy, and a unique voicetrack present a strong audio presentation.
Gameplay: B+ It is what you make of it.
Replayability: C you play this game for the story, not to gather trinkets. Are they there? Yes.

OVERALL: A The ratings above don't account for story. For this reason alone, Yakuza 2 becomes more than just another action game. It has soul, self-confidence. In a world of melting pot design, Yakuza 2 stands unique.

Inspired by PhoenixGamma.

Post subject: Re: PS2 - Yakuza 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:00 am 
Level: 52 Time Mage
HP: 970 / 10781
970 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5280 / 5401
5280 / 5401

PSN ID: Terrabro
Steam ID: The Voice of Justice