Level: 7 Squire
HP: 0 / 130
0 / 130
MP: 62 / 62
62 / 62
EXP: 79 / 81
79 / 81

PSN ID: CyberNeticZero
Well..Let’s see where to start. The name's nick. Most of yall know me as Cyberneticzero or Pyscho_Mantis. Bahh the name doesn’t matter right now. What I’m here to bitch about is next gen systems.

First off let’s start with next gen. Next generation right? Woopie due. Where gonna have starships with warp 9. What the fuck ever...Laser pistols that seem to represent the size of your willy. And green aliens girls. (Orah) The truth is next gen from my point of view is not that next generation. The system themselves are nothing without the games. *Scratches head*

let’s take the 360...no..Let’s go back farther...Nintendo64. Super Mario. Back then that was amazing. Video gaming was in its younger years. Pong to lemmings to Mario. Being the kid with the 360 meant you where the shit. House parties till all hours. Trying to get that one last star before you become comatose from the massive amounts of sugar and pop rocks.

Sega, Nintendo, Sony..blah blah blah. More than just two mega groups smacking each other around. ..... O boy went on a rant back to the point

Next gen is a term I think that is miss used. Promised amazing systems that do it all. With few issues..well last time I check the star ship enterprise didn’t show a red ring of death then "Boom"...I do admit the ship did seem to all most blow up a lot *Cough cough* And let’s not forget Sony and the Ps3. 10 different systems well different sizes. Making it more of a freaking Super computer then a game system. (I’m waiting for mine to rebel and try to take over the world terminator style)

Ok sorry again a rant. Let me be serious for a bit.

Next generation systems aren’t really systems. But the games. We have had the internet for a while now (Might be why the P.C Still outsells and out beats both the consoles) so why bring that to a game system when you could just focus on the games. The needless time and money for Net surfing and all that (Online play is still fine. That’s all ways fun) And Playing DVDs. That’s what a DVD player is for. I’m sure a few people have wanted to play their system only to find someone sitting there watching a DVD.

Gahh ok last rant sorry. Promise.

What we have now is a video game system that has the bells and whistles. From a DVD (blue ray) player to net surfing. (Sort of hard when it does not come standard with a key board) Most next gen systems aren’t..Next gen. Only building on what came before them. Which I am sure can be traced all the way back to the P.C. Yet this term has stayed alive somehow.

What I think this really is..Are the games. To list a few head turning games. MGS, Halo, Pong..(its the first fucking game. Step off) and other various games that brought something NEW!!!...(Wait save that one for next time)

If we compare the Ps3 sales to 360 sales at first we see a massive climb to fame by the 360. Only recently has the Ps3 caught up...but wait...the Wii. Motion sensors next gen maybe?...No...all done back on Super Nintendo with the gun games. (Speaking of which PS3 is working on having its own version of the Wiimote..)

What I am trying to say is..that is no next gen system. Because within a few years..a new one will just come out. 360..then the ps3...then the Wii (In popularity)

The true "Next generation" are the players. Next generation players. Expecting bigger and better things. So until I see a system that hold its own till I have kids. Or one that can beam games into my mind and feed me at the same time.I don't think there are any real "Next" generation systems.

If you enjoyed it I might work on another one. Just need a fun target...Hmmmm

Post subject: Re: A rant about next gen systems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12507 / 40346
12507 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Well, I've been a gamer for over 25 years now, and I've always ALWAYS been all about the games themselves, rather than the systems. There's no point having a games machine that can cook your tea and vacuum the floor if the games they have are utter crap.

Point in case is the Wii. Fantastic bit of kit, has far more potential than people realise, but the games.... dear god, the games....

The PS2 was, for my money, the "best" console ever, only because of the games that it had. The Final Fantasies, the Tekkens, the countless other games that sold by the fuckton. But then you had the GameCube - more powerful, but it just didn't have the games.

As for the term "next gen", there will never be a next gen machine. Because when the next gen gets here, it's current gen. The PS4 is, in theory, a next gen machine, but the minutes its out, its current gen.

But as with every machine, it will always be the games that make - or break - a system.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:19 pm 
0 / 130
62 / 62
79 / 81

Blokeymon wrote:
Well, I've been a gamer for over 25 years now, and I've always ALWAYS been all about the games themselves, rather than the systems. There's no point having a games machine that can cook your tea and vacuum the floor if the games they have are utter crap.

Point in case is the Wii. Fantastic bit of kit, has far more potential than people realise, but the games.... dear god, the games....

The PS2 was, for my money, the "best" console ever, only because of the games that it had. The Final Fantasies, the Tekkens, the countless other games that sold by the fuckton. But then you had the GameCube - more powerful, but it just didn't have the games.

As for the term "next gen", there will never be a next gen machine. Because when the next gen gets here, it's current gen. The PS4 is, in theory, a next gen machine, but the minutes its out, its current gen.

But as with every machine, it will always be the games that make - or break - a system.

Speaking of breaking a system. Under a stress test. The PS3 and Wii are the two systems that stood up to the most damage. The 360 dieing after getting smashed under a cinder block...(Ill try to fin the vid. It was done on Xplay..)

As for the Wii. O god yes. Metroid I loved it. However the controls felt lose at times. But yes it was a step if a mid sized one into the hall of fame.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:21 pm 
Level: 46 Squire
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3653 / 3828
3653 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: Sypher_04
PSN ID: Sypher_04
I think the defintion of Next Gen is too vague to really be argued. Was the jump from NES to SNES really that significant? Sure, but was it anymore significant than the jump from Nintendo Sixty FOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRR to GameCube, or from PS2 to PS3. I'd say probably not.

You have this generation 2 systems that coin themselves as the Next Generation and one which prefers to go by the New Generation moniker (mainly because it knows it's not comparable, and thus would be deemed inferior. Regardless of whether it in fact is). The 360 and PS3 this generation have relied largely on upgrades in power, and the inclusion of HD as the major pushes, while the Wii is using a different approach. I think if you simply view Next Generation improvements, in terms of what we have seen in the past, this stays relatively close to in the same vein.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:24 pm 
0 / 130
62 / 62
79 / 81

Sypher_04 wrote:
I think the defintion of Next Gen is too vague to really be argued. Was the jump from NES to SNES really that significant? Sure, but was it anymore significant than the jump from Nintendo Sixty FOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRR to GameCube, or from PS2 to PS3. I'd say probably not.

You have this generation 2 systems that coin themselves as the Next Generation and one which prefers to go by the New Generation moniker (mainly because it knows it's not comparable, and thus would be deemed inferior. Regardless of whether it in fact is). The 360 and PS3 this generation have relied largely on upgrades in power, and the inclusion of HD as the major pushes, while the Wii is using a different approach. I think if you simply view Next Generation improvements, in terms of what we have seen in the past, this stays relatively close to in the same vein.

Valid points. Next gem seems to really be who can add the most "mods" to their big guns. However the leaps arnt that giant as you said before. Only improvements. Sadly what I want is somthing new built from the ground up that refines this "term" thats tossed around But chances are that will not happen. lol

But all in all. For my first little review. Do you think it was decent? lol *Waits for massive amounts of criticism..* lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:53 pm 
Level: 42 Squire
HP: 287 / 5755
287 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2918 / 2992
2918 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: Orrah
PSN ID: Orrah
Steam ID: Orrah
Cyber_Mantis wrote:
And green aliens girls. (Orah)

????

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:06 pm 
Level: 46 Squire
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3653 / 3828
3653 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: Sypher_04
PSN ID: Sypher_04
Cyber_Mantis wrote:
Sypher_04 wrote:

Valid points. Next gem seems to really be who can add the most "mods" to their big guns. However the leaps arnt that giant as you said before. Only improvements. Sadly what I want is somthing new built from the ground up that refines this "term" thats tossed around But chances are that will not happen. lol

But all in all. For my first little review. Do you think it was decent? lol *Waits for massive amounts of criticism..* lol

Ah, something truely New Generation. I can't say I disagree.

Yeah, it was fun. I find your writing style kinda different or quirky, if you will, it kinda adds some personality to your writing. It was a good read, and I'm sure we should be able to get some good argument from it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:51 pm 
Level: 39 Squire
HP: 140 / 4676
140 / 4676
MP: 2232 / 2232
2232 / 2232
EXP: 2303 / 2461
2303 / 2461

Halo brought nothing new to the table and as far as FPSs go, was not that great. As far as "next gen" systems are concerned I like to take the term very loosely. I just see it as what the mainstream refers to as the current lineup of consoles and nothing more than that.