It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: The Get It Off Your Chest/Advice Thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:18 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
ronburgundyescalatedquickly.jpg

You two alright?

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:43 am 
Level: 42 Squire
HP: 287 / 5755
287 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2892 / 2992
2892 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: RaikuFA
PSN ID: RaikuFA
Steam ID: RaikuFA
Yeah we are were just gonna avoid her.

Nintendawg wrote:
You should be careful, one day you think you're talking to a friendly face, and then bang. Satan is looking you in the eyes... then Satan is a bear... then you are a bear... etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
Level: 73 Assmunch
HP: 8032 / 32129
8032 / 32129
MP: 15340 / 15340
15340 / 15340
EXP: 14727 / 15112
14727 / 15112

XBL Gamertag: Atomic Deke
PSN ID: Dogfaced_God
Okay, full disclosure here: I'm a fat bastard that's just now about to get his associate's degree because he fucked around to no end for the first few years out of high school. In those bad years, I held a few jobs, but none long-term. I also went to college straight out of high school and failed after a first semester with decent grades. In short, my head was nowhere near where it should have been, and though there were reasons for that, I won't go into them since I don't want to make excuses for my fuck-ups.

In the last couple years, I got my head on reasonably straight and really buckled down on school. Unfortunately, I pretty much neglected the whole "getting a job" thing (my parents were kind enough to not only put up with me in the bad years, but also to help pay for things while I got serious about school), so even though I'll have the education and the degree to back it up (not to mention a couple web tech certificates on the side), I don't have the real world experience that apparently every employer looks for, regardless of the job in mention.

Now, I took a Business English course and did well with that; essentially, it was about preparing for the career you want, and part of it included building a resume. I made one that satisfied the instructor, but it hasn't gotten my foot in the door anywhere I've sent it yet, so it can't be that great. Right now, I'm planning on graduating with my degree at the end of this semester and taking the spring/summer to look for work before pursuing a bachelor's next year.

Half of this was to vent where I felt was a safe place (despite all evidence to the contrary, you psychotic lovable assholes, you <3 ), but I guess the other half is to gather job-getting tips. Any advice*?

*I've gotten the job agency advice before and ran with it, but on the rare occasion that anything did come of that, it was always either too far or it conflicted with my schedule. With things opening up in the next few months, I may give that another go, but I'd like to see if there are any other avenues to explore.

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:04 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Agenciesbare always good to get a foot in the door, but sometimes you gotta be honest with yourself and think "Whats more important, a career, or spare-time stuff?".

It sounds like you've already dealt with that, but for those still to get to this stage, when you have a family to provide for, hobbies and shit mean zilch. Bank or bust, brah.

In terms of actually getting anything, don't blinker yourself towards one certain role or type. I always said I'd never wear a suit, and that I'd never do callcentre stuff. Now, because I've done that, I'm in motherfucking Customer Relations, and I oversee operations across the largest section of my business.

Experience is key - I started doing office filing work, then did admin work, then did account work, then did insurance claim work, then complaint management, and now customer relations. Never be too humble to start at the bottom, because it'll be the only time you will always be able to look upwards.

</catposter>

Other than that, and not knowing how your job scene is right now, not a lot I can say. But I've done a LOT of different jobs in my time, from carpentry, welding, demolition, right up to where I am now. Only thing I haven't done is sales/shop based stuff. But yeah, just take anything that's offered and gain experience.

Life is an MMORPG. Either branch out into other roles and be successful, or stick to Paladin and complain when you don't have enough gil to repair your broken gear. :-P

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:23 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

I will cop to being somewhat picky. Having worked in a fast food joint before, it's not an experience I want to duplicate. Also, I've always been leery of working at a place like Wal-Mart (Asda to you guys across the pond, I think) where horror stories from employees abound. Still, you're absolutely right. With my lack of experience, I definitely need it any way I can get it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:44 pm 
Level: 53 Social Justice Warrior
HP: 1028 / 11426
1028 / 11426
MP: 5455 / 5455
5455 / 5455
EXP: 5578 / 5705
5578 / 5705

Steam ID: joecrow
Smokey wrote:
Okay, full disclosure here: I'm a fat bastard that's just now about to get his associate's degree because he fucked around to no end for the first few years out of high school. In those bad years, I held a few jobs, but none long-term. I also went to college straight out of high school and failed after a first semester with decent grades. In short, my head was nowhere near where it should have been, and though there were reasons for that, I won't go into them since I don't want to make excuses for my fuck-ups.

In the last couple years, I got my head on reasonably straight and really buckled down on school. Unfortunately, I pretty much neglected the whole "getting a job" thing (my parents were kind enough to not only put up with me in the bad years, but also to help pay for things while I got serious about school), so even though I'll have the education and the degree to back it up (not to mention a couple web tech certificates on the side), I don't have the real world experience that apparently every employer looks for, regardless of the job in mention.

Now, I took a Business English course and did well with that; essentially, it was about preparing for the career you want, and part of it included building a resume. I made one that satisfied the instructor, but it hasn't gotten my foot in the door anywhere I've sent it yet, so it can't be that great. Right now, I'm planning on graduating with my degree at the end of this semester and taking the spring/summer to look for work before pursuing a bachelor's next year.

Half of this was to vent where I felt was a safe place (despite all evidence to the contrary, you psychotic lovable assholes, you <3 ), but I guess the other half is to gather job-getting tips. Any advice*?

*I've gotten the job agency advice before and ran with it, but on the rare occasion that anything did come of that, it was always either too far or it conflicted with my schedule. With things opening up in the next few months, I may give that another go, but I'd like to see if there are any other avenues to explore.

I'm in a similar sort of situation right now having just graduated from university (a good one too, at that.). I've got a 2:1 in a decent enough subject, but relatively little real world experience (although I'm currently spinning the shit out of the small amount of life guarding work I did for every application I'm making). Job hunting can get really frustrating as every advert you come across might appear good until you reach the "X experience required" line but the problem is nobody is willing to give you that experience. Every "entry-level" "minimum-wage" advert still comes with the experience caveat.

It's fucking annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 pm 
Level: 53 Judge
1028 / 11426
5455 / 5455
EXP: 5422 / 5705
5422 / 5705

XBL Gamertag: DeltaEonInferno
PSN ID: DeltaEon
Steam ID: DeltaEon
Smokey wrote:

I have srs advice. First let me ask, what is your degree? Something computer-ish?

Secondly, you're 1 hour from Duke Energy's Kings Mountain facility, where everyone in the fleet gets training pretty much year-round. You're also 1 hour from Catawba Nuclear Plant.

Why does this matter? Because both places hire contractors in mass numbers. Anyone can get a job doing SOMETHING, as long as you don't have a criminal background, aren't crazy, and willing to work. They hire everything from testing proctors (no shit, all you do is watch people take tests and make sure they don't cheat) to engineers to craft workers to firewatches (you literally walk around the facility and make sure nothing is on fire, easiest fucking job in the world).

Oh and did I mention the hours at the plant? Almost always 72 hrs/week if they're bringing in contractors for an outage (usually lasts ~30 days, $$$$$$).

I HAVE CONNECTIONS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Smokey AND the Prof, working nuclear power plants?

Fuck your country. It's been fun. Laters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

Sheeit, that sounds baller as hell. I can't make an hour-long commute to work right now, or else I would definitely take you up on that.

My associate's degree is just the transfer degree for a four-year school (general education stuff, mostly), but while I haven't declared a major yet, I'm almost certainly gonna go for a bachelor's in communications. I want at least a couple web technology certificates for resume padding, too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:39 pm 
Level: 53 Judge
1028 / 11426
5455 / 5455
EXP: 5422 / 5705
5422 / 5705

XBL Gamertag: DeltaEonInferno
PSN ID: DeltaEon
Steam ID: DeltaEon
Im just saiyan - 2015 interships in Charlotte are posted right fucking now for IT that you meet the qualifications for

Do it fegget

https://de.taleo.net/careersection/jobd ... job=122118

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:05 pm 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
I've always had some sort of job since I was 15 (12, if you count my paper route). I've done bottom-barrel McDonald's bullshit, management, waiting tables, warehouse, retail, whatever. I've had 2 full time jobs at multiple points in my life (even my senior year of high school). Pretty much all I know to do is work.

As such, it makes it a lot easier for me to get a job than folks I know who went through college without working.

However, it also makes it harder for me to get jobs that I WANT, since I didn't work for them.

From what I've seen, most jobs worth having usually require experience, and there's a few ways to get around that. Internships ("But I got my degree!" "Someone else will take that internship spot then, bye! <3"), university clubs (Yep, you can get experience in specific fields by working in that field at the college you're going to, so you can get a degree in the subject that you're learning so you can get a job doing what you're already doing at the college), NETWORKING (seriously, go out and sell yourself, you'd be surprised at how many people have offered me positions just by meeting me in a non-job-application atmosphere).

An entry-level experience required (yet no degree/certification required... usually) job is something I will almost always get over someone else, regardless of their qualifications. I've shown through work history that I'm reliable, hardworking, and cheaper than someone with a degree.

The degree doesn't get you a job. You get you a job. It's a matter of being able to show that you're the one they NEED to hire. It's hard to do, but you can start building experience by volunteering/interning at various places. And remember, you're ALWAYS ALWAYS selling yourself, not your degree.

Making connections and "Building your Brand", so to speak, early-on will help you DRAMATICALLY after you get that piece of paper that you paid so much and worked so hard for. Just think of it from the employer's standpoint:

"Do I hire this person who didn't go to college, but has been doing this work for 5 years? Do I hire this person with a degree, but hasn't done this work before? I can probably pay the former less than the latter, and the latter can't demonstrate that they can put that knowledge to practice." Hiring someone based on a degree is a huge risk. Would you rather have the unlicensed immigrant worker who has been building fences for 25 years and has a proven track-record build the addition to your house or would you choose the architect right out of school who has never actually built anything before?

Option 1, you know you're what you're getting. Option 2, while it looks like they'll do a better job, will probably cost more, and is a complete unknown in terms of quality. Option 2, therefor, has to do something to show people what they're getting since the odds of someone "Giving him a chance" is going to be extremely low.

Is it shitty? Yep. Can ya blame that line of thinking? If so, I'd really like to know your outlook on it.

TL;DR
Networking, son. Do a shitton and start as early as you can. They gotta know you if they're going to take the risk of hiring you with no experience (and it is a big risk as degree ≠ experience when it comes to actually doing the work).

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:59 pm 
Level: 44 Assmunch
HP: 328 / 6573
328 / 6573
MP: 3138 / 3138
3138 / 3138
EXP: 3353 / 3391
3353 / 3391

PSN ID: thedragonheat83
probably me just having one my stupid moments, the pain still is just as bad 9 moths on as it was the day he died, i think the reason why is that somebody somehere either at the doctors or the hospital fucked up, he should have had the camera down the throat every year but somebody 'forgot' to put it on his notes. my lovely wife has tried her best but she hasn't lost anybody close her so she deosn't know how to react me crying

bill goat wrote:
90% of single girls online have a boyfriend, 6% are single for a good reason, 3% are fbi Agents/tweenbait, 1% are what your looking for.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 432 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29