HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3653 / 3828
3653 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: Sypher_04
PSN ID: Sypher_04
I'm not saying those aren't problems. They are. The difference between games now and the games being made in 1990 is development cost, which is unlikely to get much better. There are certainly games that fail due to inept management, but as a whole the amount of money a game needs to make just to break even sans marketing cost is too high.

Also, worth mentioning, if publishers and developers were making more money on their games, they may be more inclined to get creative and take a risk on a new IP. As it stands now, the safe bet, sequels, remakes and rehashes are where the money is.

Post subject: Re: Xbox One - official announcement: DRM, trades, lending,
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:25 am 
Level: 46 Alchemist
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
Sypher_04 wrote:
I'm not saying those aren't problems. They are. The difference between games now and the games being made in 1990 is development cost, which is unlikely to get much better. There are certainly games that fail due to inept management, but as a whole the amount of money a game needs to make just to break even sans marketing cost is too high.

Also, worth mentioning, if publishers and developers were making more money on their games, they may be more inclined to get creative and take a risk on a new IP. As it stands now, the safe bet, sequels, remakes and rehashes are where the money is.

Honestly, that's more of an issue with the development process itself. Games cost too much to make?

Figure out more efficient and effective ways to make them. Smaller teams with longer dev times maybe? Not letting big IPs get tossed from dev house to dev house for a decade? Not trying to make them blockbuster movies?

Games and Gamers need to grow up.

Both, preferably.

I don't see either happening though.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:05 am 
Level: 41 Obama Supporter
HP: 322 / 5376
322 / 5376
MP: 2567 / 2567
2567 / 2567
EXP: 2685 / 2806
2685 / 2806

Nintendo ID: Bokuten
Blokeymon wrote:
So why is it that the games industry managed quite well to survive the blight that is "used games" from 1990 right up until now?

Many of my SNES games were preowned. Remember how that console suffered?

Oh wait...

The PS1 saw used games become a massive thing. Remember how they almost killed the PS1? Oh hang on...

Well, surely you all remember how the PS2 suffered at the hands of used games? Oh wait... No it didn't...

Used games are being used as scapegoats. Its just like cubist said, when a game costs more to advertise than it does to make, used games aren't the problem...

Used games aren't the problem. Being greedy is the problem.

Sypher_04 wrote:
Your insistence that PC is so great and MS is acting stupid is quite comical as far as I'm concerned. Even after making these changes that MS is making, it will still be a less restricted environment than PC games.

Going on steam at a friends house is almost exactly like this. Sign in to your account, you can download you game, install it, play it. Not once, but however many times you so wish. The once only restriction only applies to giving your game away to someone else. I'll give you the offline mode is forever thing, but for 80%-90% of people this is going to be a non issue, even if they choose to bitch incessantly about it.

Sypher. This is not the same. Microsoft is saying you can only go to one friend. One friend with a game and play it at his house if he has been on your friends list for at least 30 days. Just one friend and one game. So you bring over Forza 5 lets just say. That friend and that friend only can play your copy of Forza 5. Nobody else can play that game but you and the friend you let play it. With Steam I can play my games on anybody's computer as long as a verify my account on that computer. I download my games and I am good to go. I wouldn't be able to do that with the xbox one. Do you understand it now?

As to PC gaming being a restricted environment It isn't restricted at all. Fact with a PC I can if I choose too play tons of older games via Emulators, Play Nintendo Sixty FOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRR Games online with friends, I can even mod my game for bug fixes if the developer is not going to fix them *coughBethesdacough* I can mod them for graphical improvements and for some games I can add more maps, cars, etc... We all know about upgrading PC's to make them more powerful so we are not limited to the hardware the console companies give us so I am not going there. Gaming laptops are a thing so we can game on the go and with Steam box coming out so you can bring steam to the living room.

I have a question sypher. Have you ever tried steam? I would have thought you of all people would be a PC gamer with all them super computers in your house etc...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:33 am 
Level: 41 Machinist
HP: 268 / 5376
268 / 5376
2567 / 2567
EXP: 2797 / 2806
2797 / 2806

XBL Gamertag: J58P4
PSN ID: MadSketch
Steam ID: afororange
HGW XX/7 wrote:
Sypher_04 wrote:

Honestly, that's more of an issue with the development process itself. Games cost too much to make?

Figure out more efficient and effective ways to make them. Smaller teams with longer dev times maybe? Not letting big IPs get tossed from dev house to dev house for a decade? Not trying to make them blockbuster movies?

Games and Gamers need to grow up.

Both, preferably.

I don't see either happening though.

This is what needs to change. Why are publishers chasing what is obviously out of reach? No doubt development costs are higher than before because of new technology, but the priorities are not on analysing why a company failed to offer the consumer a satisfactory product that met sales expectations - you know, like every other business - but blaming every other factor.

The Pontiac Aztek failed because it was too ugly for the market.
The Zune failed because it was too late for the market.
New Coke failed because it misread what consumers wanted from pop.
Tomb Raider fails because we didn't sell enough copies. Why didn't we make projections?
"I don't know, market it more."
"We already spent $100mil in marketing! Twice the dev cost!...maybe...the market can't support this?"
"Nonsense!"

Dark Souls sold 1 million units and was considered a massive success by From Software. Why? Because any developer that has such laser focus to make Demon/Dark Souls sure as shit knows their market. Want to get rich? Get out of video games. This is not the PS2 era where bad decisions can be covered up by low dev costs and a dominant platform where even a fraction of the user base is still a solid amount of sales.

If MS can truly justify a reason for this, I'm all ears. Of course used game sales is an issue, but it's the low hanging fruit of the bigger problem of this industry. I love my 360, but I can't support a successor that so willingly spits in the customer's faces for their bad practices.

Inspired by PhoenixGamma.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 am 
Level: 46 Squire
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3653 / 3828
3653 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: Sypher_04
PSN ID: Sypher_04
Bokuten wrote:
Blokeymon wrote:
So why is it that the games industry managed quite well to survive the blight that is "used games" from 1990 right up until now?

Many of my SNES games were preowned. Remember how that console suffered?

Oh wait...

The PS1 saw used games become a massive thing. Remember how they almost killed the PS1? Oh hang on...

Well, surely you all remember how the PS2 suffered at the hands of used games? Oh wait... No it didn't...

Used games are being used as scapegoats. Its just like cubist said, when a game costs more to advertise than it does to make, used games aren't the problem...

Used games aren't the problem. Being greedy is the problem.

Sypher_04 wrote:
Your insistence that PC is so great and MS is acting stupid is quite comical as far as I'm concerned. Even after making these changes that MS is making, it will still be a less restricted environment than PC games.

Going on steam at a friends house is almost exactly like this. Sign in to your account, you can download you game, install it, play it. Not once, but however many times you so wish. The once only restriction only applies to giving your game away to someone else. I'll give you the offline mode is forever thing, but for 80%-90% of people this is going to be a non issue, even if they choose to bitch incessantly about it.

Sypher. This is not the same. Microsoft is saying you can only go to one friend. One friend with a game and play it at his house if he has been on your friends list for at least 30 days. Just one friend and one game. So you bring over Forza 5 lets just say. That friend and that friend only can play your copy of Forza 5. Nobody else can play that game but you and the friend you let play it. With Steam I can play my games on anybody's computer as long as a verify my account on that computer. I download my games and I am good to go. I wouldn't be able to do that with the xbox one. Do you understand it now?

As to PC gaming being a restricted environment It isn't restricted at all. Fact with a PC I can if I choose too play tons of older games via Emulators, Play Nintendo Sixty FOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRRR Games online with friends, I can even mod my game for bug fixes if the developer is not going to fix them *coughBethesdacough* I can mod them for graphical improvements and for some games I can add more maps, cars, etc... We all know about upgrading PC's to make them more powerful so we are not limited to the hardware the console companies give us so I am not going there. Gaming laptops are a thing so we can game on the go and with Steam box coming out so you can bring steam to the living room.

I have a question sypher. Have you ever tried steam? I would have thought you of all people would be a PC gamer with all them super computers in your house etc...

you're confusing giving a game to a friend and simply playing at his house. You can play your games on any Xbox, as many as you wish.

how many steam games have you traded in?

and yes, I've used steam. It works remarkably similarly to how Xbox One is going to. Minus the used games trades of course. Granted, it does however have a more flexible offline mode

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:46 am 
Level: 41 Obama Supporter
HP: 322 / 5376
322 / 5376
2567 / 2567
EXP: 2685 / 2806
2685 / 2806

Nintendo ID: Bokuten
Sypher I am not going to argue this topic with you anymore. You don't know anything about steam and think the xbox one is going to be the same. You say we can't say anything about the console until we see the facts yet you keep saying the fact is it will work just like steam. I am done just done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:27 am 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
Bokuten wrote:
Sypher I am not going to argue this topic with you anymore. You don't know anything about steam and think the xbox one is going to be the same. You say we can't say anything about the console until we see the facts yet you keep saying the fact is it will work just like steam. I am done just done.

Calm down Baby Kangaroo, it's a just a discussion, no one is arguing (unless you are :cop: ).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:17 pm 
Level: 46 Alchemist
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
thegamecubist wrote:
If MS can truly justify a reason for this, I'm all ears.

Frankly, if they keep getting preferential treatment from Harmonix, and they make it easy for Japanese shmup devs to release Games on Demand in the West (they dabbled in it this gen), then it'll be gravy for me.

If Harmonix were to make releases exclusively for PS4 or give it preferential treatment, then PSN would be seeing a shitton more downloads from me. Rock Band downloads alone total more than I've paid on PSN in ever.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm 
Level: 51 Squire
HP: 914 / 10164
914 / 10164
MP: 4853 / 4853
4853 / 4853
EXP: 5025 / 5110
5025 / 5110

XBL Gamertag: HoFKSugaFree
PSN ID: HoFKSugaFree
Steam ID: SugaFree
Wii-U ID: SugaFree3000
3DS code: 4167-4952-3231
Nintendo ID: SugaFree3000
thegamecubist wrote:

If MS can truly justify a reason for this, I'm all ears. Of course used game sales is an issue, but it's the low hanging fruit of the bigger problem of this industry. I love my 360, but I can't support a successor that so willingly spits in the customer's faces for their bad practices.

This, fucking this.

I am not looking forward to the next-generation at all. Shit is going to tank hard. As it stands now, there is no way I will be getting an Xbox One unless the price is extremely cheap.

It is going to be murder for tournament organizers, people without internet and those who are borrowing games. Anyone who says it is not a big deal are delusional.

Smokey wrote:
Godspeed, brave adventurer, and keep your pimp hand strong.