It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Xbox to require permanent connection - thoughts?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:04 am 
Level: 53 Judge
HP: 1028 / 11426
1028 / 11426
MP: 5455 / 5455
5455 / 5455
EXP: 5422 / 5705
5422 / 5705

XBL Gamertag: DeltaEonInferno
PSN ID: DeltaEon
Steam ID: DeltaEon
Joe wrote:
Prof. Chaos wrote:
I see absolutely no reason for this to be a negative aspect unless you (a) Don't have internet (b) Pirate every game you want (c) Live an Amish lifestyle and have no money to pay for electricity

And while I'm ranting,

Many moons ago I schemed up an idea that would put microsoft in good standing with everyone. No mobile Hotspot? No wifi? No wired internet at all? Download our free xbox live wired tethering app! Just plug you phone into your xbox and boom! XBAWKSLIVE

I'm still getting it assuming it has games I want to play, and I'll do the same if the PS4 has an "always online" plan. You guys can't avoid it, all consoles will hit that path eventually.

well what if Microsoft's servers go down? What if something similar to the PSN outage occurs?

I'm sure they've thought this through and have backups of backups of backups of backups. I have other games I can play anyways if shit hits the fan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 am 
Level: 42 Squire
HP: 287 / 5755
287 / 5755
MP: 2747 / 2747
2747 / 2747
EXP: 2892 / 2992
2892 / 2992

XBL Gamertag: RaikuFA
PSN ID: RaikuFA
Steam ID: RaikuFA
What about a natural disaster? After Sandy I had no internet for a week

Nintendawg wrote:
You should be careful, one day you think you're talking to a friendly face, and then bang. Satan is looking you in the eyes... then Satan is a bear... then you are a bear... etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:03 pm 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
Raiku wrote:

For a natural disaster that large, you've got some mixed up priorities if your reaction is "I can't play my games ohnoes!"

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:08 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12910 / 40346
12910 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Still, the point is there.

If X-EVENT occurs, and you are left without internet, you are left without a console to play.

It could be a quake, it could be a storm, it could be the provider goes out of business, it could be Anonymous doing what they do best/worst, it could even be the servers at MS's side.

No connection, no using your console.

Its not like it just won't play online... the rumours (and I say rumours despite the sources having 100% accurate track record with other rumours) are that you need internet for this thing to even boot up.

Thats one hell of an issue, man.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:47 pm 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

Blokeymon wrote:
Still, the point is there.

If X-EVENT occurs, and you are left without internet, you are left without a console to play.

It could be a quake, it could be a storm, it could be the provider goes out of business, it could be Anonymous doing what they do best/worst, it could even be the servers at MS's side.

No connection, no using your console.

Its not like it just won't play online... the rumours (and I say rumours despite the sources having 100% accurate track record with other rumours) are that you need internet for this thing to even boot up.

Thats one hell of an issue, man.

I have countless other handhelds and games. I'm not worried about not being able to game.

Frankly, the part of the country I live in isn't susceptible to much in the way of natural disasters/power outages/etc. Having the internet on a device is practically like having power for the device, since they generally go hand in hand.

What if my POWER goes out? Oh shit, I can't play ANY console. Oh fuck, that's right! I have handhelds!

Seriously, it's just like ANY other console purchase. Weigh the games, price, features, etc against your gripes. If it's worth it, get it. If not, don't.

It's pretty simple.

Have I been in situations where I haven't had internet after transferring a bunch of content to a new XBOX? Yes. I wasn't able to play any of my downloaded games or DLC (which is a shitton, btw). Big deal, I did something else until I got my internet straightened away.

I understand the aversion if you have a shitty ISP, or if you're so absolutely paranoidly terrified that "Something's gonna happen to the servers, and THEN what!?" That's fine. Don't get the console. I'd question why you don't have the same "What if?" mentality when it comes to buying anything else, like say, a car, where an infinitely large amount of terrible things can happen to either make it undriveable or fucking KILL you, but I know most people don't think like that even though it's the SAME SORT OF THING EXCEPT MORE SERIOUS.

It's bullshit that my A/C and Heating for my place needs POWER. If it goes out, I'll be inconvenienced for a while. That's kinda how I look at for something that requires internet. You pay for power. You pay for internet. Sometimes the providers suck. Sometimes the equipment YOU use sucks. Sometimes something happens where you don't have it.

Oh well.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

And if shit does happen, hey, I can do something else

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:03 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

I live in a house with most likely more gaming machines than most folk have actual belongings, and I still think always-online is bullshit.

Its the principle of it all, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:36 pm 
Level: 52
HP: 862 / 10781
862 / 10781
MP: 5147 / 5147
5147 / 5147
EXP: 5127 / 5401
5127 / 5401

XBL Gamertag: Ax8472
PSN ID: Ax8472
Steam ID: Ax8472
3DS code: 2681-1146-3380
OK so think of this scenario.

Sean, Carl and Dan all live in different houses. All buy the next gen Xbox. All play and enjoy the games.

Then Dan's Internet goes down one day. Sean wants to play some Halo, texts Dan and Carl. Dan says "I fucking hate Halo but my net is down due to a local net issue anyway so I can't". Carl agrees and joins in, two people play Halo.

Dan goes to the shop and sees a new game he wants. Although it's single player, his net is down today, so he buys it on Playstation so he can play it (even single player). He enjoys the game and wants some multiplayer.

The next day he calls Carl. "Hory sheet, this new Borderlands game is the fucking tits. We should all play it but I have it on Playstation". The group buys it on playstation, and play it on there.

That's how simple this issue can get a group to buy a game on a different console. So think about this, all games are released on both competing platforms, but most people end up playing on the Playstation version, as it'll be the same experience with a less likely chance it'll stop working. You go online and most of your friends end up being online on the other console than the Xbox. You have no friends on the xbox. You also start buying your games on the playstation. Most people do this and have a playstation. Xbox stops selling as less and less people are buying them. Game publishers stop pulishing all games for that console. Less people buy that console. Before you know it, you're buying a game on a console because you don't care that you have to play online, but it's a lonely experience with no one else online. Eventually everyone will stop using it.

I know, you get what I'm saying by now, but it only takes something very small to tip the scales.

HOWEVER. If you read game news, a lot of "insiders" have been saying that the new xbox is "seriously some next level entertainment". I personally remain speculative, as always on-requirements and necessary kinect integration both put me off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
12910 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

It is small things like that that will tip the scales this time around. In a large group of friends, even a small group, the deciding factor in buying a game is usually "If I play it online, which one will my friends be playing it on?".

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel is a good example. I was championing this baby for ages, and folks at work knew it was 4P co-op, and because I'd already got started on it, at least 5 other people bought the PS3 version - even though it was on the 360 too - just so we could get some game on.

COD and FIFA are big ones too, with folk more often buying the version their friends will be buying.

But on top of all that, theres the console sales themselves - most consoles are bought with "what do my friends play on" in mind. Most debates you see online about "What do I buy" always get answered with "What do your friends have?".

If the 720 does have always online, there is already a massive number of folks ready to walk away and jump ship. If the time comes later on for someone to say "Which do I get?", then the first question won't be "What do your friends have", but "Do you actually know anyone WITH a 720?".

I sincerely hope that MS don't go with always-online, because Sony won't have any real competition next gen. MS will have a machine that no-one wants, Nintendo have, well, nothing for real gamers (at this moment in time - things might change yet), and with no competition, Sony will most likely make a huge series of mistakes (like when the Wii suddenly overtook everything, and it became Shovelware Central) and the entire industry will bomb.

On a side not, I too hear that the multimedia side of the new machine is meant to be totally boshank, and will far surpass any multimedia aspect the PS3 ever had - but will that be enough to justify including always-online for functions it isn't needed for?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 pm 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

Next Gen will be exactly the same as this one for me.

My group of online gaming friends will have the new XBOX regardless of the always online functionality, because well, they ONLY play online.

Always online is not an issue in that scenario.

Your net goes out? You couldn't play online on the PS4 either...

Microsoft Servers go out? Sure you can't play, so you get the PS4 version...

Sony Servers go out? Well, darn.

So it'll be the same for me regardless:

XBOX = Any exclusives, online multiplayer, or multiplat games due to the fact that I don't like the PS3 controller.

PS3 = Exclusives, select games for online multiplayer if I have the money (Resident Evil 5 is a good example, I own it on both consoles. The only reason I have the PS3 version is to play online with my friend in Germany and maybe you fags if you want).

Wii = Third Party Exclusives that I desperately want (Fragile Dreams, NiGHTS, and the like.. Bayonetta 2 will be the one for Wii U).

That's not gonna change for me in the slightest, since I already KNOW my main online-play friends will be on the next XBOX. Just the way it goes.

It's not going to scare away anyone who primarily plays online (COD players and the like) since if their net goes down THEY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PLAY IT ON THE OTHER CONSOLE EITHER.

Once again it solely goes down to preferences and gaming habits. For the large crowd that uses the XBOX only for online stuff, that's not gonna sway them. If it causes a drop of sales for third party single player games then they may not make it to the XBOX, sure.

So that takes away... what... the first Bioshock and Tales of Vesperia and puts them on the other console? Doesn't change the game line-up all that much. You'd still see your Battlefields, CoDs, Halos, EA Sportss, and the like. Especially when you consider that most publishers will probably try to push the always online DRM version MUCH MORE HEAVILY due to the fact that they've been trying to get that shit going themselves forever.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:20 pm 
287 / 5755
2747 / 2747
2892 / 2992

HGW XX/7 wrote:
Raiku wrote:

For a natural disaster that large, you've got some mixed up priorities if your reaction is "I can't play my games ohnoes!"

Oh of course, my biggest one was "Will I freeze tonight while everyone else in town has warmth?"

But it still holds true, you lose your net connection no game for you.

And you may say "Well I've got other systems." But what about those that don't? Those that could only afford a 720. Also, kids that are allowed to only have one system.

Also, what about those with a spotty internet connection? There are some areas where it's hard to maintain a good connection.

Nintendawg wrote:
You should be careful, one day you think you're talking to a friendly face, and then bang. Satan is looking you in the eyes... then Satan is a bear... then you are a bear... etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:40 am 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

Raiku wrote:
HGW XX/7 wrote:
Raiku wrote:

Oh of course, my biggest one was "Will I freeze tonight while everyone else in town has warmth?"

But it still holds true, you lose your net connection no game for you.

And you may say "Well I've got other systems." But what about those that don't? Those that could only afford a 720. Also, kids that are allowed to only have one system.

Also, what about those with a spotty internet connection? There are some areas where it's hard to maintain a good connection.

Don't buy one. Simple as that.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:00 am 
287 / 5755
2747 / 2747
2892 / 2992

What if they make a few single player only exclusives to the 720? Still can't play them if your connection dies out cause your router goes?

Nintendawg wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:11 am 
448 / 7478
3570 / 3570
3606 / 3828

Raiku wrote:
What if they make a few single player only exclusives to the 720? Still can't play them if your connection dies out cause your router goes?

Get a knew router 'cause it apparently can't handle basic internet function?

Play the game after the issue is sorted out?

Don't buy the game or console if it's something you can't handle?

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 pm 
Level: 51 Squire
HP: 914 / 10164
914 / 10164
MP: 4853 / 4853
4853 / 4853
EXP: 5025 / 5110
5025 / 5110

XBL Gamertag: HoFKSugaFree
PSN ID: HoFKSugaFree
Steam ID: SugaFree
Wii-U ID: SugaFree3000
3DS code: 4167-4952-3231
Nintendo ID: SugaFree3000
I am more concerned at the fighting game front.

Areas in SoCal have a bunch of 360s/PS3s for tournaments and they are not connected online. When I have sessions at a friends house I take my 360 so that we have more stations to play at. If always onliine is true, then I cannot do this anymore.

Fuck that mess, even Steam had an offline mode. When my internet was out for a few hours,I was still able to play games Fallout New Vegas.

Smokey wrote:
Godspeed, brave adventurer, and keep your pimp hand strong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next