It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: So Bastion sounds pretty cool...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm 
Level: 73 Assmunch
HP: 8032 / 32129
8032 / 32129
MP: 15340 / 15340
15340 / 15340
EXP: 14727 / 15112
14727 / 15112

XBL Gamertag: Atomic Deke
PSN ID: Dogfaced_God
Blokeymon wrote:
Its already been established that the developers get a set fee for their game - after release, its the store owners that set their own prices and also them who take any "sufferance" during sales, and even then, I know full well that a £40.00 game isn't bought in at £40.00, and even selling it half price, they still make a profit... but I'm getting off topic here...

Anyway, Smokey, what if he'd borrowed it from a friend/rented from a store first, THEN bought it in a sale, as he's not of working age and has an extremely limited income?

Would the fact he's spending what little finances he does get on a game - albeit in a sale - still make him a grade-A minnie-moo-foo-foo?

So I suppose that small developers like the makers of Bastion go out of business all the time because they're all terrible business people and have no idea how to operate in the capitalist world, not because they can't generate enough revenue to stay afloat because the people that would have bought their games pirated them instead?

If he's renting it, he's still paying for it, and the game was paid for by the rental company in the first place, so it's not the least bit like pirating, and if he borrowed it and played it to completion, then waited for a sale ON A DOWNLOADABLE GAME when there's a free demo of the game on Steam, then yeah, I'd still call him on this. I mean, come on, it's only $15 on Steam in the first place, AND THERE'S A FREE DEMO. There's no excuse to pirate it and play it to completion to "try it out".

Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm 
Level: 78 Chump
HP: 12507 / 40346
12507 / 40346
MP: 19263 / 19263
19263 / 19263
EXP: 18622 / 18735
18622 / 18735

XBL Gamertag: Blokeh
PSN ID: Blokeh
Steam ID: Blokeh
Wii system code: 2445-8086-3386-0718
Smokey wrote:
So I suppose that small developers like the makers of Bastion go out of business all the time because they're all terrible business people and have no idea how to operate in the capitalist world, not because they can't generate enough revenue to stay afloat because the people that would have bought their games pirated them instead?

No, they go out of business because they make shit games, or in most cases, the publishers just aren't interested unless the developers games have the words "Call", "Duty", "Final", "Fantasy", "Street", "Fighter" or "Halo" in the title, in which case, they'll pay stupid money. It sucks, but its true.

Smokey wrote:
If he's renting it, he's still paying for it, and the game was paid for by the rental company in the first place, so it's not the least bit like pirating

What if its one of those "Rent two, get one rental free" deals?

Smokey wrote:
and if he borrowed it and played it to completion, then waited for a sale ON A DOWNLOADABLE GAME when there's a free demo of the game on Steam, then yeah, I'd still call him on this. I mean, come on, it's only $15 on Steam in the first place, AND THERE'S A FREE DEMO. There's no excuse to pirate it and play it to completion to "try it out".

Wow, must be great to have so much disposable income. So if its "only" $15, why haven't you bought all the MAG DLC? Thats "only" £9.99, ain't it? For a game you played A LOT, whats "only" $9.99?

And a trial demo only gives a hint of what the game is like. I can't count the number of games I've bought on the first findings from a demo, only to find the rest of the game is dogshit... Trash Panic, for one. Demo was hella fun. Didn't show me level 2 though, where the difficulty spike materialises behind you, bends you over, forces itself right up your ringpiece, up through your torso, out the top of your skull, then fires you into the fucking sun...

Don't think this is ever gonna get settled, cos it sure is opinions up in this bitch.

Even though you and Sean are wrong.

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no man ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 pm 
Level: 45 Ninnyhammer
HP: 491 / 7015
491 / 7015
MP: 3349 / 3349
3349 / 3349
EXP: 3599 / 3604
3599 / 3604

PSN ID: Jzboarder
Steam ID: Jzborder
3DS code: 3866-8047-5910
Escalation is $4.99 and Interdiction is free for the US.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:

No, they go out of business because they make shit games, or in most cases, the publishers just aren't interested unless the developers games have the words "Call", "Duty", "Final", "Fantasy", "Street", "Fighter" or "Halo" in the title, in which case, they'll pay stupid money. It sucks, but its true.

And why aren't the publishers interested? Because it sells poorly, and you can't tell me that at least some of the time piracy isn't to blame for that.

Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:
If he's renting it, he's still paying for it, and the game was paid for by the rental company in the first place, so it's not the least bit like pirating

What if its one of those "Rent two, get one rental free" deals?

The point is moot, because the game is still paid for, because those deals only happen with subscriptions, so the rental company pays the developer/publisher, and you pay the rental company.

Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:
and if he borrowed it and played it to completion, then waited for a sale ON A DOWNLOADABLE GAME when there's a free demo of the game on Steam, then yeah, I'd still call him on this. I mean, come on, it's only $15 on Steam in the first place, AND THERE'S A FREE DEMO. There's no excuse to pirate it and play it to completion to "try it out".

Wow, must be great to have so much disposable income. So if its "only" $15, why haven't you bought all the MAG DLC? Thats "only" £9.99, ain't it? For a game you played A LOT, whats "only" $9.99?

DLC is a whole different can of worms than a full game, so don't even act like the Escalation game mode is at all in the same arena as Bastion. Even if the two things were comparable, Escalation is bullshit. No way I'm paying for that.

Blokeymon wrote:
And a trial demo only gives a hint of what the game is like. I can't count the number of games I've bought on the first findings from a demo, only to find the rest of the game is dogshit... Trash Panic, for one. Demo was hella fun. Didn't show me level 2 though, where the difficulty spike materialises behind you, bends you over, forces itself right up your ringpiece, up through your torso, out the top of your skull, then fires you into the fucking sun...

That's the whole point of "trying it out". Yeah, the demo should give you a taste of the whole experience, but the fact remains that the demo IS there to be tried. Smiler didn't even do that, he just straight up went and pirated it right off the bat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm 
Level: 46 Alchemist
HP: 448 / 7478
448 / 7478
MP: 3570 / 3570
3570 / 3570
EXP: 3606 / 3828
3606 / 3828

XBL Gamertag: PantsOfJustice
PSN ID: TalesOfPants
Also, trying to Smokey on some DLC is just funny.

He determined it wasn't worth the money.

He didn't buy it.

He didn't then go out and steal it.

『絶対逃ガサナイカラ』

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 pm 
12507 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Maybe he wanted to see if it was worth buying, only to find out it is, so he's gonna buy it.

He's only added a single step to the whole "thinking about buying it > buying it" trail, and even then, he's simply removed "play a demo" and replaced with "play the game".

Also, when you have games like COD, FF, SSFIV and Halo selling FUCKING MILLIONS, yet amazing games like Joe Danger and other such downloadable games sell FUCK ALL, you can't blame piracy, you blame the mongs that are quite willing to pay over the odds for Boring Pointless Rehash Rerelease 2: Almost The Final Edition Edition, but won't take a chance on Fucking Nugget Of Gold Right Here Game which costs not even a tenner... sorry son, no dice there.

EDIT: Also, Sean, kinda different here. Al thought it might be worth the money, tried it, decided it was, and then went and bought it. If you go to a restaurant (where you eat first, pay later), if the menu showed some delightful dish, and you chose it, and you got a plate full of shit, you have a few choices...

1. Send it back (or don't have it, don't pay for it)
2. Try it, and if you don't like it, send it back (or try a demo of it/borrow it/pirate it, don't like it, get rid of it, don't buy it)
3. Try it, decide you like it, eat it, happily pay for it (or do what Al did with Bastion)

I honestly can't see the reason. In the end, Al has a copy of a game he paid for in full. Whats the problem?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 pm 
Level: 49 Squire
HP: 721 / 9013
721 / 9013
MP: 4303 / 4303
4303 / 4303
EXP: 4450 / 4563
4450 / 4563

PSN ID: Tizzam
Steam ID: Tizzam
I liked Trash Panic. I got to the planet level....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:38 pm 
12507 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Oh man, first level? So much awesome. Second level? Fuck that shit.

Only game I have precisely zero trophies in.

Sorry, Eye Of Judgement and GH:Van Halen too, but only because EOJ are all hidden, and GH:VH is shit and I've yet to play more than one song.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

Blokeymon wrote:
Maybe he wanted to see if it was worth buying, only to find out it is, so he's gonna buy it.

He's only added a single step to the whole "thinking about buying it > buying it" trail, and even then, he's simply removed "play a demo" and replaced with "play the game".

Also, when you have games like COD, FF, SSFIV and Halo selling FUCKING MILLIONS, yet amazing games like Joe Danger and other such downloadable games sell FUCK ALL, you can't blame piracy, you blame the mongs that are quite willing to pay over the odds for Boring Pointless Rehash Rerelease 2: Almost The Final Edition Edition, but won't take a chance on Fucking Nugget Of Gold Right Here Game which costs not even a tenner... sorry son, no dice there.

EDIT: Also, Sean, kinda different here. Al thought it might be worth the money, tried it, decided it was, and then went and bought it. If you go to a restaurant (where you eat first, pay later), if the menu showed some delightful dish, and you chose it, and you got a plate full of shit, you have a few choices...

1. Send it back (or don't have it, don't pay for it)
2. Try it, and if you don't like it, send it back (or try a demo of it/borrow it/pirate it, don't like it, get rid of it, don't buy it)
3. Try it, decide you like it, eat it, happily pay for it (or do what Al did with Bastion)

I honestly can't see the reason. In the end, Al has a copy of a game he paid for in full. Whats the problem?

That's like saying that you want to get rid of AIDS, so you nuke Africa into oblivion, and hey, you're that much closer to eradicating AIDS! Basically, you're saying the ends justify the means, and they don't. Unless there is no legal avenue to obtain the game you want, there is no excuse for pirating a game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
12507 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Smokey wrote:
Unless there is no legal avenue to obtain the game you want, there is no excuse for pirating a game.

Again, must be nice having unlimited disposable income.

Importing isn't illegal, but if you have two choices: pirate, or pay $400.00 for a foreign console, then $70.00 for a foreign game to play on said console due to region coding, then its a no-brainer.

inb4 "then do without". Yeah, cos developers like it when folk never get a chance to play their shit, thereby destroying any chance of future iterations going overseas. Final Fantasy, Persona, Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents, and A STUPIDLY LARGE NUMBER OF OTHER GAMES all say "Hi".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:
Unless there is no legal avenue to obtain the game you want, there is no excuse for pirating a game.

Again, must be nice having unlimited disposable income.

Importing isn't illegal, but if you have two choices: pirate, or pay $400.00 for a foreign console, then $70.00 for a foreign game to play on said console due to region coding, then its a no-brainer.

inb4 "then do without". Yeah, cos developers like it when folk never get a chance to play their shit, thereby destroying any chance of future iterations going overseas. Final Fantasy, Persona, Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents, and A STUPIDLY LARGE NUMBER OF OTHER GAMES all say "Hi".

I don't have unlimited disposable income. I'm a jobless college student. YOU have more disposable income than I do. Rather than pirate those games, you should pull a Project Rainfall and start gathering support for a game that you can play legally. Yeah, Project Rainfall didn't work, but consider the games they were lobbying for. If this was done for a Final Fantasy or Persona or a similarly established series, odds are there'd be more fans, and thus more chance that the developer would accede to your demands.

If you're not willing to pursue legal means to obtain a game, you don't really deserve that game, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm 
12507 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Smokey wrote:
If you're not willing to pursue legal means to obtain a game, you don't really deserve that game, to be honest.

Now this right here makes me think JZ hacked into Smokey's account and then posted the first thing that came to mind.

Seriously, you're kidding, right?

Right?

Right?

Final Fantasy 3. Until the DS version, never released outside of Japan. I had to download a fan-made ROM just so I could play it, as I'd played every single other Western-released FF game. Was I undeserving of it? Given that I'd quite happily paid ANYTHING for it (and did so when it hit DS), but had to resort to illegal means, am I undeserving?

Words cannot express how dumbfounded I am here. I honestly just spent the last 90 seconds looking at your statement, trying to say something sensible, but I'm at a loss. Seriously. Well played, son. You just shut up the Blokester with one of the most idiotic statements ever made. I don't know whether to applaud you or set myself on fire and just have done with it, because if thats how people think, then I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Fuck me...

And I'm right in assuming that neither yourself or Sean have ever, or will ever, download a song/movie/ROM from the internet that you could easily have purchased from a local store, right?

Right?

Right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm 
12507 / 40346
19263 / 19263
18622 / 18735

Actually, Imma bowing out right here. I just can't do this anymore.

Al pirated something to see if it was worth the cash. Boo.
Al liked it so much he's going to buy it fo' realz. Yay.

All thats happened is that he managed to play it before parting with his cash.

Far as I'm concerned, he's supported the dev by buying new, and he's sticking it to the man by not buying it from a rip-off store in town. Job done, case closed, Imma never visiting this thread again, because my head hurts from people getting hung up on the wrong people for the wrong reason.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:53 pm 
Level: 45 Ninnyhammer
HP: 491 / 7015
491 / 7015
MP: 3349 / 3349
3349 / 3349
EXP: 3599 / 3604
3599 / 3604

PSN ID: Jzboarder
Steam ID: Jzborder
3DS code: 3866-8047-5910
I think pirating roms is ok because nobody sells those games anymore so how are you going to buy those old games? You could ebay them but the seller is getting the money and you are not supporting developers at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:57 pm 
8032 / 32129
15340 / 15340
14727 / 15112

Blokeymon wrote:
Smokey wrote:

Now this right here makes me think JZ hacked into Smokey's account and then posted the first thing that came to mind.

Seriously, you're kidding, right?

Right?

Right?

Final Fantasy 3. Until the DS version, never released outside of Japan. I had to download a fan-made ROM just so I could play it, as I'd played every single other Western-released FF game. Was I undeserving of it? Given that I'd quite happily paid ANYTHING for it (and did so when it hit DS), but had to resort to illegal means, am I undeserving?

That's the thing, though. Because of fans like you that clamored for a Western release, they released it here in the States and in Europe. You're only validating my argument.

Blokeymon wrote:
And I'm right in assuming that neither yourself or Sean have ever, or will ever, download a song/movie/ROM from the internet that you could easily have purchased from a local store, right?

Right?

Right?

Music =/= games. Games are VASTLY more expensive to make, and everyone knows that the vast majority of the cost for an album goes to the record label, and that the bands hardly ever see a dime on revenue from album sales anyway. I mean, shit, when David Draiman, the frontman of one of the most popular rock bands of this generation, says that he doesn't give a shit one way or the other about pirating music because of exactly what I just said, that kinda robs your argument of any credibility.

When you pirate music, you hurt the record labels, who deserve to die in a fire.

When you pirate games, you are seriously hurting developers a lot more than you're hurting publishers or retailers.

EDIT: Like I said, when you can't find games through legal means, for whatever reason, then there's no reason not to pirate the game, because if no one is selling it, you're not denying anyone revenue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next